FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes at Shell Rock.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
olsaltydog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes at Shell Rock.....
    Posted: 28 June 2016 at 6:57am
Landing. Got word that they will be changing Shell Rocks parking area from 25 cars to 6 and if you park anywhere in the grass area you will be ticketed. From what I heard it is because of storm runoff and eroding of those areas so just a FYI.
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 9:42am
OSD: You beat me to the punch on this. I fished out of Shell Rock with a buddy on Sun. We were one of the first boats at the ramp, so we parked in one of the paved spots adjacent to the ramp, but I came in a separate vehicle, so I moved my truck to the grass area because... well only a jerk parks in a trailer spot at a boat ramp with a single vehicle right?

Anyways, when we got back late that afternoon, there were two Wildlife officers there writing warning tickets for parking in the grass area. We spoke to one of them. Real nice guy, just doing what he was told to do. He explained to us that NCWRC has leased that land since whenever, but it belongs to Onslow County. His understanding was, just as you said, that the erosion from vehicle traffic in the grass area and the potential runoff & sedimentation was the rationale for closing that area to parking.

To say the least, I'm fairly upset about this. But before I go off on another tirade, I sent an inquiry out to one of our county commissioners to get more info.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 9:44am
Yeah I heard about it, currently boatless so this is not grinding my gears yet, but felt it should be passed along. Many people try to hit this ramp especially with 4th of July coming up this weekend. At least when I get another boat I have another reason to continue launching pre-dawn time frame.
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 8:49am
I spoke to an Onslow County Commissioner on Wed. According to him, someone at DEQ (formerly DENR)determined that the vehicle traffic in the grass parking area at Shell Rock Landing was causing runoff & sedimentation in the adjacent wetlands. Thus, DEQ directed NCWRC officers to place no parking signs in that area and to begin citing violators. Now there are only 6 - 9 parking spots available. (I've heard different numbers from different sources).

According to the Commissioner, DEQ took this action without notifying Onslow County. Commissioners only found out about it when their phones and emails started lighting up this week with angry boaters & fishermen wanting to know what was going on.

He further told me that there is at least a tentative plan to improve that grass parking area to prevent that sedimentation, but that has not been funded or approved yet. It may take some time for those wheels to start moving.

It will be interesting to see how DEQ & our NCWRC officers are going to deals with that this weekend with all the folks who are probably planning boat outings out of Shell Rock over the 4th. I know I'm not going anywhere near Shell Rock this weekend.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 7:54am
True, that has been what I have been hearing so far. Someone I heard has been asking about that area getting paved but from what I was told is that area doesn't "perk" properly, not sure myself, but that is one reason they never paved the whole area.
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 10:03am
Might want to explore CRFL funding to provide sedimentation barriers and permeable pavers that allow parking but address point-source runoff.
Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.
FarFyter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarFyter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 9:54am
Any new updates on Shell Rock?
Lowe 16SC
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 10:15am
Originally posted by BaitWaster BaitWaster wrote:

Might want to explore CRFL funding to provide sedimentation barriers and permeable pavers that allow parking but address point-source runoff.

BW: When I spoke to the Onslow Commissioner, he told me that there was a plan for permeable pavers & barriers & that he thought there was sufficient money in the county budget to pay for it.

FF: He didn't mention when that might occur. I'll see if I can get a follow up.
wmoore View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2016 at 3:26pm
Without parking what a waste of a good ramp.. Useless for only a few parking spaces. Wonder if it's got anything to do w/ the NEW houses that have been built on Shell rock lane?
Reel Nauti 20' Nautic Star Offshore Sport
FarFyter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarFyter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 9:47am
Any new news on parking?
Lowe 16SC
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by FarFyter FarFyter wrote:

Any new news on parking?

It is what it is

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic