FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking feed back on skiffs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nightdevil33 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightdevil33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking feed back on skiffs
    Posted: 04 June 2016 at 4:04pm
I need some feed back on skiffs im looking to buy a 23ft to 28 ft skiff would like to know about ride , price , quality
speckhunter80 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speckhunter80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 10:01pm
Pretty big for a skiff. Going that size you probably need to look at bayboat style
Batman View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 10:13am
I've got a 23 ft Carolina Skiff in the 238 DLV version. These boats are great for inshore and near shore fishing. Large casting decks, lots of room, run in skinny water, good on gas, simple and easy to maintain. Downsides are they are not good in rough water, hatches will rattle, you will get cracks in your gel coat, they are "wet" boats and you will get a lot of sea spray when running in rough water. They are very price competitive also. 
Kinda depends on what/where you are going to use it for. If you are in mainly calm waters(lakes, inshore bays and creeks), you will love it. If you are fishing the coast(off shore and large bays), you will be limited by the weather. If it gets rough, you can still fish, but you will pay for it with the beating you will take. 
I'll give you an example, I fished a couple of weeks ago on a Sea Hunt 24 in the Neuse River. On the run back the wind picked up and we were faced with 2-3 ft waves. The Sea Hunt was able to run appox 30mph and we never got a drop of water from spray. In my boat, I would have been lucky to make 10mph and would have gotten soaked.  
nightdevil33 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightdevil33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 3:36pm
looking to near shore and sound fishing would like good ride with out vee thinking a 27ft skiff would ride better
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 8:34pm
The layout of a skiff, and a good ride, says catamaran to me. 
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic