FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trolling motor problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bert3706 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bert3706 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trolling motor problem.
    Posted: 09 April 2016 at 1:21pm
I have a Minn Kota riptide 12volt motor. I have a plug, which I thought was the problem and replaced both boat and motor side.   I'm getting 11.+ volts on the wires from plug. However when I hook up the motor I get nothing. I can hook it up straight to battery and it works fine. Even tried hooking up old fishfinder to wires from the plug and nothing.   I'm at a loss.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Mechanic Bob View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mechanic Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2016 at 6:32pm
I am thinking somewhere you have a corroded wire between the battery and the boat plug. Many times I have found I am getting 12V, but not getting amps. I can only tell you how many times I have had to chase a wire problem and been getting 12V on the meter.
Most likely the corrosion is on the terminals or the wire on the terminals. 
fiogf49gjkf0d
#8 weight and I can't wait
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2016 at 7:25pm
I would buy new wires and use the old ones to pull the new one and try that,you've done everything else,the only other thing I can think of is if you have a splice somewhere that's loose or corroded.I had to change wires before because the ones that came on the boat new for the trolling motor were to small for my motor when I stepped up in motor thrust size,I put a copper connector on the wires from power source to the trolling motor wires that I could crank down tight,sealed them with stretch electic tape and sealed it with heat shrink,works fine now.Don't give up keep at it.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Grampa Fish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grampa Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2016 at 12:29am
If all else fails, you might consider replacing the inline circuit breaker.
J.Walas
bert3706 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bert3706 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 8:22pm
Thanks guys. It was the circuit breaker I believe or maybe the trolling motor. Either way, both have been replaced.
Trolling motor way over due to be changed.
Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic