FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fly reel suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fly reel suggestions
    Posted: 16 February 2016 at 10:38pm
Long story short, I've got $82 I need to spend on eBay by Thursday.  I'd like to get a new/used fly reel to match a 8 wt. St. Croix.  I don't do much fly fishing so this is a starter reel in every sense of the term and would like to keep it in this price range.
Thanks for the suggestions!
aka "Sandy Reel"
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 6:38am
Wow!  Not familiar with what is on eBay or how it works, but several companies make cast aluminum reels with a fairly simple draf that might fit int that price range.

TFO, Okuma, Scinentific Anglers, Cabelas, BPS ----- might their sites and then look for specific models on eBay?

Good Fishing!!!
willis1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote willis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 8:21am
You can often get excellent quality fly reels for much less than retail prices on eBay. I like the Sage 2280 - - it retails for about $150 and is a good deal at that price but sometimes you can get one for under $100 - check them out, but also look at any decent reel models like the ones mentioned by Chuck - you'll be surprised what you can find. . . . .

Good shopping!!!!!
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 9:21am
Thanks guys, that's a starting point.
Chuck, ebay is an auction site where you can buy and sell. 
aka "Sandy Reel"
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 9:37am
Sheesh! Next thing you know, they'll have banking on line.   

EC: You might want to check out Sci Anglers System II. They're considered dinosaurs these days, and they're a bit heavy, but very solid with great drags, and they hold up to salt water well with minimal care. The problem with most fly reels in your price range-- and some are perfectly good reels-- is that they don't mix well with SW. You can probably find a System II on closeout or fairly cheap ebay. If you're just going to use it in FW, Okuma makes a nice little reel for low price.
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 3:43pm
Thanks for the suggestions.  Due to what looked like a poor selection on eBay (i guess folks are moving to other sites) I decided to spend my money on something else.
Also I found a reel on Amazon by a company called Piscifun.  Anybody heard of them?  They have an all aluminum larger arbor 7/8 for $58.  
http://amzn.com/B017HCHYAM
I figure for starter reel, what do I have to lose.  The reviews are good.
There is also a Fiblink brand for a similar price.  
I assume these are just Chinese models flooding the market to drive down established prices, but who knows.  I've always though $500+ for a fly reel, which is very simple in design, is a bit extreme.
aka "Sandy Reel"
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 10:06am
You pay for the makers name, and their talent at machining a well designed reel to close, effective tolerances. If you drop $82 , then get a well reviewed cheapie. Nobody ever talks about those chinese pieces, because they most likely suck. Ever wiggle a wobbling waggler over a warbling non- bushing or a bunch of rusty rollers? That's what piscifun means in Chinese. But, take an American tackle retailer such as those Chuck mentions, and of a sudden, the Chinese will produce something that actually turns the way it is kind of supposed to. Pay enough to get a good spin, and plan on palming the rim IF you get into that rarified territory of screaming drag, Ninety percent of non- oceanic fly fishing on the east coast will not require the drag anyway, and fighting fish is best accomplished from the hand. Hundreds of fly- hooked fish are lost by the desperate attempt to wind like a banshee and get regular fish on the reel. If you catch fish that are gonna pull drag, they'll get you on the reel, and it's best to have a reel that won't fly apart when they do. But that dream of a spinning spool cheats many a sport of understanding the beauty of regularly fighting fish from the hand. If you like fly fishing for real, then you'll know you want a decent reel, and you'll see that the price range is actually a little more accommodating, because you'll be willing to drop two or three bills to get one. Then you can fathom why certain machine shops get $500 and up for good reels to tackle honkers: because they do a particular job the others don't need to.

V/H Dog
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 10:50am
Thanks, cnaff, but not necessarily buying all that (no pun intended).  I have dropped $100-120 on a  penn SS and 525Mag's and those hold up to 50# drum just fine... for decades.  And they have WAY more moving parts and features and complexities than a fly reel.  

Edited by ecblanks - 21 February 2016 at 10:50am
aka "Sandy Reel"
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 7:16pm
EC!Talley ho! I wasn't worried about old spinners and baitwasters, but I did mean cheap can be good because most inshore fish don't get on the reel because they're not as strong as nice drum or blistering like baccarudas, but if you put in enough time you might find a Chinese reel you love. I swore off Chinese reels years ago, but I have a Berkeley 554 I bought when I was ten, probably the first plaskit fly reel , and she's still pretty sweet for pans and bass, That said I'm positive you'll enjoy fly fishing if you are a good stripper, because that is the most challenging part of this if you are in fish. Penn got bought out by the Chinese, and they need a good Shepard as in Cabelas or a serious, customer oriented stateside firm to import and stand for the quality you want. You can pay a lot of money and still get a reel that sucks, so I dare say I have nothing to sell you, I only wish I could be there when tshtf, because I was there before. Avoid cheap unknown Chinese reels if you want, or don't. Fly reels are not spinners and simple is horrible if the tolerances or materials are crappo which has nothing to do with the more complex operation of a reel with a lot of moving parts. Apples and oranges, and lemons to boot.
V/H Dog
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 9:27pm
OK, thanks, cnaff, I think I mistook your first post.  I still think for $50 it's worth a shot.  Then if I get myself hooked (again, no pun intended), I'm sure I'll upgrade. 
aka "Sandy Reel"
fishotherapy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fishotherapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2016 at 11:23pm
Cabelas has 20% off their fly reels this week.  
Bart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic