FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eel Aquaculture Moves Foward in NC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 11:56am
It didn't take long for Louis to introduce "how to get taxpayer dollars" to fund your plan. Did you hear?

This facility has been operating on and off since 2002, if they haven't gotten a business model that works now, how much more money are they going to put behind it...and are the Reupblican's going to put tax dollars into a failed business?

My concerns.....are not about eels.

If I knew that next year there would not be an explosion in the amount that could be harvested and that we mandate that a certain percent of that 200 pounds is put back into the wild when it reaches 9 inches then I wouldn't worry about it too much biologically, but that is not my worry.

At the price of these things and the fact being publicized more and more I can see Asian buyers picking them up and shipping them back home under economic visas mixed with crates of other legal live species that will never be seen. A few hundred in the bottom of every super oxygenated cool live tank of flounder or whatever would never be seen by the human eye.

Again....I hope I'm wrong, but I know what happens with fish and fish movement in NC, especially if there is a legal fishery in place to hide the illegal flow within.

Edited by Ray Brown - 18 February 2016 at 12:22pm
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 11:27am
This issue is over for this year, but because it will come up next year let me ask you a question.

Thirty minutes before the applicant denied having any partner on Thursday, a person whom he brought with him to the meeting was telling individuals in attendance that there were indeed "investors" in Mr. Allyn's operation.

I didn't personally hear the comment, but when you start looking into the plausibility of what was said, one does indeed find a paper trail that at least initially heads directly towards what was stated.

Remember, this was not an opponent of Mr. Allyn who said this, but rather an individual one would think was his closest ally in attendance.

If in the end there were one or more investors despite the denial, should it be a consideration for a renewal next year?

Also, was the question answered correctly if in fact the investors were committed subject to the permit approval? Or would the Clintonesque answer be acceptable because the denial came two minutes before it was approved?

As we move to next year you might wish to familiarize yourself with a federal program referred to as EB 5.

You also may want to know if a foreign national can own or be the beneficiary of a harvest permit to harvest seafood in the sovereign waters of any state.

Again, only because an ally of Mr Allyn stated there was one or more investors did I and others look around.

And wouldn't you know it, we stumbled into a letter written two years ago where Mr. Allyn is seeking investors exactly where his ally said on Thursday that investors came from.

If true....should it be an issue for renewal next year?

I also wish to say I have no evidence or suspicion that any state employee knew this, if true.   I am not excluding one or more elected officials. Although the constant assertion that Mt. Allyn's business model or business plan was off limits to investigation did seem odd since both are dealing with a public trust resource.

I said earlier in the week that this was not about eels.

The only thing I am alleging is that prior to the eel vote an ally of Mr. Allyn in answering a simple question stated that Mr. Allyn had investors and also stated their country of origin.   Therefore the subsequent denial became a head scratcher. The discovery of the solicitation letter to investors from that country raises eyebrows further.

Elected officials in this state will decide if further investigation by their resources is necessary.

Nothing seems clear cut in NC fishery issues, does it?

Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
Crabby Captain John View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crabby Captain John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

If the MFC hasn't approved this.... Then who told the ASMFC that NC would do the pilot? Steinberg? 😊

Stienberg is on record stating he knows nothing about fish except what Louie told/taught him. If he said anything it only came from Louie, probably verbatim.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crabby Captain John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 4:00pm
Sadly, I was in FL when this topic was started. At the MFC meeting on Wednesday I gave it little thought UNTIL Louie started the "there is a rumor" about his deeper involvement, or a staff member. When he was told that only what was on the record could be discussed he went off the topic for a short period. When he returned the MFC atty had to say "Stop, stop, stop!". Such denial always gets my attention. Today is the 1st I read this thread which brings another question ~ 4 Months ago Allan called Louie an incompetent manger and liar, Wednesday he had great things to say about him. Yesterday I received an email and made some calls.
On Wednesday when Louie said "go to the legislature" for funding of staff for the program I stated it sounded like corporate welfare and asked why the gift of $500K or more could not fund staff and extra to the DEQ coffers in the cost of a permit. 
I hope, and believe the permit may not pass next year.
The program stinks.

Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crabby Captain John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 8:41pm

Following Louie ~~ 1st he 'forgot' the eel program was not authorized by the legislature then he acted at the request of a few legislators. That brings three questions:

1. If the MFC in good faith authorizes a permit the legislature did not authorize can it be issued?
2. A-has or the owner of the permit contributed or will contribute to the campaign of a few? B- how much?
3. Why should taxpayers fund administration of a permit for one person/company?
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 9:31am
Interesting article to update this old thread.

As expected - when little fish worth crazy amounts of money swim upstream, illegal activity "spawns".

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
ncshellfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 7:05pm
I knew Randall Livingston, he was hoot. 3 quick stories.

WW2 He told the Navy guy he was from Cedar Key Fl. He asked to be sent some where warm as he only wore shoes for a few weeks in the winter. They sent him to Boothbay Maine.

He had an eel farm in Moncks Corner, SC. He called the parts house owner at 2am and said he was desperate for a part. Parts guy met him and told him the price, on account of course. Randall replied, 
"Look around, I'm the only customer you have and that is an outrageous price!!

At Randall's funeral the chief of SCDENR law enforcement said that with Randall's passing, "We are going to have to lay off 3 law enforcement officers."

Randall was amazing, he truly was a member of the greatest generation. God rest his soul!

Brad

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by bakesta bakesta wrote:

Interesting article to update this old thread.

As expected - when little fish worth crazy amounts of money swim upstream, illegal activity "spawns".

The NC Legislature should pass this law in NC for all fisheries-

"Dealers can no longer pay cash—only checks."

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 12:18pm
seems like that would help the budget
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by todobien todobien wrote:

seems like that would help the budget

"Dealers can no longer pay cash—only checks"   driving 1099s with felony penalties would take care of this problem pretty quick- 

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/north-carolina-seafood-distributor-pleads-guilty-tax-evasion

NC Department of Revenue is loosing millions in taxes annually.

Edited by Rick - 12 June 2017 at 12:45pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 2:41pm
King Louis worked hard to get the farm permitted here.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 5:35pm
Typical fisheries management in NC, a political science to benefit individuals with no long-term big picture.  Last I heard, the guy never harvested a single eel that he reported.  It never made sense.  I'm sure there was an ulterior motive.  He had the political players in Onslow County working the strings of the puppets at NCDMF.  Hopefully that puppetry is coming to an end...It's long overdue and can't come soon enough.

Edited by Rick - 12 June 2017 at 5:35pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 8:51am
Ncshellfish, you make clear that Randall Livingston was an overbearing jerk who demanded special treatment in the navy; wanted the people around him to drop everything at his insipid convenience, and give him their property while he berated them for charging him for the privilege of serving such a reprobate clown, the way you tell the story; and he had built a reputation among the marine patrol (!!!) as a scofflaw whom they could expect to defy laws aimed to conserve OUR marine resources, evidently on the repeat basis, as you relate. He may well have been a halcyon in his generation of resource thieves, a man the dim witted look toward for inspiration. But your reverence for his insouciant behavior gives us a better understanding of the generational types of nitwit with which the people of this state must contend if we're going to have those resources for the grandchildren. Therefore, Randall Livingston would appear, from your tribute to his recalcitrance, to be a grandee of the core problem we face on this board- the rat bastid who steals and exploits fishery resources to the utmost of his considerable ability to cheat and lie, bully and berate, giving him an indelible mark upon our shameful debacle we call fishing in North Carolina.
V/H Dog
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 10:18am
Don't ask me why I feel this way, but I think the eels have proven too slippery for most of the NC legislature and will slither away before the session concludes.

todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 11:33am
They'll probably take the "at large" seats on the MFC with them and leave behind the requirement for a super majority.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 7:50am
fiogf49gjkf0d
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic