FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peach/Plum Tree??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dontcatchmany View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontcatchmany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peach/Plum Tree??
    Posted: 11 January 2016 at 5:05pm
Have any of you eastern North Carolina folks (or elsewhere on the central east coastal areas)ever heard of a Peach Plum tree?

My wife keeps wanting me to see if I can find one (or two if it needs a pollen buddy). She says the fruit tastes like and has the shape/size of a peach, but it has skin like a plum (no fuzz). She grew up in the New Bern area and had relatives in the Grantsboro area that had the tree(s) when she was a young lady (she still acts young...LOL).

I have researched extensively and have found a couple that do not seem to do well in the Eastern NC climate. I have asked the "chief nursery" folks at a couple of local places that sell plants/trees and they have never heard of the tree. They were both kind of young folks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by dontcatchmany - 11 January 2016 at 5:08pm
Straits, N.C.

"..... shall not be infringed."

MilitaryAppreciationDay.org One, Simple, THANKS!
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2016 at 10:18pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontcatchmany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2016 at 9:16am
Thanks Rick. I had been to a Clemson web site a couple of months ago, but had not seen that web site.

I did come across a Peacharine that is a cross between a peach and a nectarine. It sounds interesting and is self pollinating.

I may get the peacharine as an experiment.

Thanks!

Oh, the research has proved interesting in that I have read about a lot of hybrids that look good and I never knew they existed.

I would love to surprise my wife with the exact thing she ate as a child.
Straits, N.C.

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2016 at 9:38am
I'm guessing it was a nectarine, which is a variety of a peach not a cross.

http://content.ces.ncsu.edu/growing-peaches-in-north-carolina

http://content.ces.ncsu.edu/producing-tree-fruit-for-home-use

Edited by Rick - 12 January 2016 at 9:40am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontcatchmany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2016 at 5:34pm
After further questioning of my wife this am over coffee, she indicated it was the size of a silver dollar and not the size of a peach so I am now guessing a plum....heck, I kinda liked the idea of a peacharine...LOL!

And she finally got up with her aunt who has a tree like what my wife describes. She is across the Neuse river so I may ride that way and see if I can get something to identify it with to take to the Ag Coop folks for identification   

I do see some plums that have the texture of a peach.

Thanks Rick!
Straits, N.C.

CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2016 at 7:13pm
I would like to have one of each
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
SouthernSon View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernSon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 12:42am
It's just a name for a large plum dcm. Size actually depends on soil and fertilizer.    I think I have some seedlings still around my dads house.
Southern is a feeling in your heart. Past Commander Sons of Confederate Veterans. Go Wolfpack! Somewhere Downeast
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontcatchmany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 10:18am
Thanks James.

Got one you want to sell?

I was going to plant two peach trees and my wife's fruit what ever it turns out to be, but now I might plant 1 peach and 1 Peacharine (if they like our climate)and a plum.

Thanks folks!
Straits, N.C.

SouthernSon View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernSon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 12:37pm
Be glad to give you a couple. Just remind me till I actually do it. My dad got his first from aFriend in Alabama long time ago. May take a few years to bear but his were silver dollar size.
Southern is a feeling in your heart. Past Commander Sons of Confederate Veterans. Go Wolfpack! Somewhere Downeast
calico creek View Drop Down
NCW Official Sponsor
NCW Official Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 1:31pm
Stark Bros. nursery has what you're looking for....called " Big Blue Plum ". almost as large as a small peach....
Hubert Parrott
speckhunter80 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speckhunter80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 5:23pm
http://www.ncagr.gov/freshconnect/shipperdirectory/plums.htm
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 6:15pm
Buy a California plum,I like those,they are different shades of red large and are real sweet,make real good preserves to for hot biscuits.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontcatchmany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 6:43pm
Thanks again folks!

Your kind data has given me some ideas.

James, do not be surprised if you get a call from me!

Straits, N.C.

drumchaser View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumchaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 1:09pm
So two trees would be needed for them to produce?

Edited by drumchaser - 19 January 2016 at 1:10pm

Noworries View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noworries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 9:20pm
Not peach trees, they self pollinate
You don't know if you don't go
Key West Bluewater 2020WA
Stratos 250V
drumchaser View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumchaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2016 at 7:16pm
Thanks NW.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic