FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CSMA Striped Bass- A Put and Too ManyTake Fishery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 9:56am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
j.willis View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 10:36am
 Thumbs Up

Thank you Commissioners for not rolling over and playing dead.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 11:50am
Amen. Maybe the tide is rising
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 12:06pm
I want to believe.... I really do.  But the nickel is NEVER there when I go look.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 2:42pm
Letters to the OIG of the GAO, with copies going to USFWS in Atlanta. A site cheaper than the lawsuits that will be necessary on the naturally occurring fish that we've been so prejudicially mulcted out of. And absolutely deserved and merited by the unchecked hegemony of the millionaires who call the shots. They have largely destroyed the estuarine system, and have never faced the resistance of the public who has a definite stake in the fisheries, habitat and their sustainability. If the governor and his loving cohort aren't outright challenged at the gut level, then the protected destruction for profit we suffer under is perpetual, like the grass getting mowed in the graveyard, but our estuary will be dead. Now is the time to fight them, the salient has presented itself. Is it for such a coarse buffoon as myself to carry it off?
V/H Dog
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2019 at 8:16pm
Take it head on. Vote goes on record along with Murphy Regan response along with Cooper since they serve as his surrogates. If nothing then letters to feds. Up. Or down tthis will delineate the lines .
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 7:27am
Can we get a sticky on the top of the forum list page with applicable email addresses listed?

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 12:57pm

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
j.willis View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 1:20pm
Is anyone surprised?
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 2:02pm
as long as it doesn't go to court in new bern
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 2:43pm
THANKS TO THE CHAIR AND THE COMMISSIONERS FOR STANDING UP FOR THE STRIPED BASS!!!!!! DANG THE TORPEDOS!
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 3:28pm
Does anyone have email addresses for the Sec and his Deputy so folks can send messages of support and praise for the Commissioners for standing up for the resource?
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 3:40pm

Michael.regan@ncdenr.gov

john.nicholson@ncdenr.gov

Please send letters of "SUPPORT" to the Secretary and Deputy Secretary stating your confidence that the process will playout with their support for the motion.

The commission's action certainly supports the Governor's clearly stated goals-

As Governor, Roy Cooper will put in place agency managers and Marine Fisheries Commission members who will make decisions in accordance with the best scientific evidence available and conservative principles to enhance the resource.  

As Governor, Cooper will change the direction of our natural resources policies to make the sustainability of our precious land, water, and air, and the ecosystems within them, a top priority.

I have full confidence that the members of the commission' supporting proper resource management for this important fishery, will present more than adequate data to justify the motions made to close the rivers to all gillnets and require attendance in those areas remaining open.

Hopefully the Division and Director will support those measures at the meeting tomorrow.

...to do otherwise will certainly be "arbitrary and capricious" and get my lack of confidence vote.

Edited by Rick - 12 March 2019 at 4:14pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 7:17pm
What are the chances a comm seat will be occupied tomorrow?
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2019 at 7:55pm

Governor Cooper owns all three of those seats. Will his appointees waste his taxpayer’s $?

I hope not.

I’m hoping not enough to take a day’s vacation to be there.

Edited by Rick - 12 March 2019 at 7:56pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
hghcpa View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hghcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 12:05pm
Any word on the results of the meeting?
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 2:24pm
It appears gillnets above the ferry lines will come out of the water. I was not there, but have confirmed this.

More later as Rick was there.

This may not be a pendulum change for NC, but it appears NC is eyeing a digital clock for the first time meaning we are at least coming around to how other states manage their marine resources.

Edited by Ray Brown - 13 March 2019 at 3:09pm
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 2:38pm
Ray, what are the ferry lines pertaining to this decision? 

todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 2:56pm
Bayview to Aurora on Pamlico and Minnesott to Cherry Branch on Neuse
ferries
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 3:16pm
In other news....MFC members tried to introduce rules on recreational fishing such as barbless hooks or circle hooks in this area just like is done during the closed season on the Roanoke to further protect the striped bass resource and the attorney would not let them do it saying that was an "unannounced" possibility.

When NCFA files a lawsuit over this, and I suspect they might, then let no one forget that there was an attempt by the MFC to tighten up recreational uses and the legal representatives of the NCAG office would not allow it.

From what I heard, the best line of the day goes to Director Murphey.   He was asked, "what types of nets do not interact with striped bass?" His answer was, "I can't really answer that without time to reflect and study."

Well, if the Director of the NC DMF can not answer that question regarding gear his agency allows in the water, then perhaps....perhaps.....well, you can finish the statement on your own.

You can't make this stuff up unless you are setting yourself up to be someone's friend in a lawsuit.

Edited by Ray Brown - 13 March 2019 at 3:20pm
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 4:09pm
Does anyone have the text of the motion that was passed, and the vote? Too bad there is not a ferry from Swanquarter to Cedar Island.

Edited by Glacierbaze - 13 March 2019 at 4:12pm

Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 4:10pm
Ray, I had made it a point to mention possible options to look at DD in the hook and line fishery since the Nov meeting. There was no reason to wait.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 5:03pm
This is a little rough but gets most of it-

Direct the Director to issue a proclamation in conjunction with the Supplement that prohibits the use of gillnets upstream of the Cherry Branch to Minnesott Beach ferry line, dock-to-dock, and upstream of the Aurora to Bayview ferry line, dock-to-dock, within the CSMA. 
fiogf49gjkf0d
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 5:10pm
Thanks to the Commissioners that are working to restore striped bass in the CSMA
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 5:34pm
I
WaterDog View Drop Down
NCW Official Sponsor
NCW Official Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaterDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:17pm
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Capt. Tom Roller
WaterDog Guide Service
Beaufort/Atlantic Beach, NC
252 728 7907
919 423 6310
j.willis View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:37pm
Clap Thank you Commissioners for your resolve and concern for the resource!
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:38pm
This was and is about the resource. Don't let anyone change the narrative.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by j.willis j.willis wrote:

Clap Thank you Commissioners for your resolve and concern for the resource!

Thumbs Up

chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2019 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

This was and is about the resource. Don't let anyone change the narrative.

This.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic