FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CSMA Striped Bass- A Put and Too ManyTake Fishery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 11:54am

Marine Fisheries authorities consider no-possession limit for striped bass in central, southern waters

MOREHEAD CITY – The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries has received the Marine Fisheries Commission’s approval to draft regulations for a no­-possession limit of striped bass in some waters of the state.

The proposal would apply to the Tar, Pamlico and Neuse rivers and other joint and coastal waters of the Central Southern Management Area.

The division recommended developing a supplement to the N.C. Estuarine Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan to include the temporary management measures to protect two year classes of fish while the next plan amendment is being developed. The commission approved the recommendation at its business meeting last week.

The proposed supplement must first be approved by the secretary of the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality before it is developed.

Research has shown that striped bass in these waters are not a self-sustaining population and that fishermen are mainly catching hatchery-raised fish; however, data suggests there have now been two successful spawning years, and those fish need to be protected.

The proposed no-possession regulations would end once the new plan amendment is adopted. The amendment could include the no-possession provision or recommend other management actions.

If necessary approvals are received, the division intends to hold one public meeting on the issue in the Washington area. The supplement would be brought back to the commission for adoption in February, and the regulations would be implemented by the division director through his proclamation authority.

In other business, the commission voted to:

·       Submit the names of Robert (Tim) Griner, Brian (Scott) Buff, Samuel (Sammy) Corbett, and Jack Cox to the N.C. Governor’s Office as nominees for the North Carolina Obligatory Seat on the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council.

·       Recommend that the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council and Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission remain at status quo regarding the coastwide commercial allocation of summer flounder.

·       Readopt 41 existing rules under a state-mandated periodic review schedule.

·       Delay discussion of the Marine Fisheries Commission’s goals and objectives for an amendment to the Shrimp Fishery Management Plan until the next meeting.

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 7:36pm
I see an opening...
A rising tide lifts all boats...
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 11:58am

In regards to this statement made by the NCDMF
"Research has shown that striped bass in these waters are not a self-sustaining population and that fishermen are mainly catching hatchery-raised fish; however, data suggests there have now been two successful spawning years, and those fish need to be protected." NCDMF Press Release
...a good friend of the resource made this astute observation to me today-

I was thinking that it should be more like "Research has shown that the state's current estuarine management strategies for striped bass in these waters have not provided for a self-sustaining population and that fishermen are mainly catching hatchery-raised fish; however, data suggests there have now been two successful spawning years, and those fish need to be protected".

I always found it easier to move forward if you recognized where you might have gotten things wrong.

Edited by Rick - 21 November 2018 at 12:29pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 12:22pm
I wonder if some addition clarification regarding amount of successful spawning would be useful? Was it a large percentage of those age classes were wild spawned, a small percentage or what level?

Technically I guess if you find 1 wild spawn it would be a successful spawn.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by todobien todobien wrote:

I wonder if some addition clarification regarding amount of successful spawning would be useful? Was it a large percentage of those age classes were wild spawned, a small percentage or what level?

Technically I guess if you find 1 wild spawn it would be a successful spawn.

See:

http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=e2d46f4f-a24b-405a-8f5b-9d1635acf20c&groupId=38337
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 5:21pm

Release: Immediate

Date: Jan. 9, 2019

Phone: 252-342-0642

Fisheries seeks comments on proposed no-possession limit for striped bass in some internal coastal waters

MOREHEAD CITY – The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries is accepting public comment on a draft temporary restriction for a no­-possession limit for striped bass in some waters of the state.

The proposed management measure would apply to commercial and recreational fishing in the Tar, Pamlico, Pungo, Bay and Neuse rivers and other joint and coastal waters of the Central Southern Management Area.

A no-possession requirement already exists for the Cape Fear River and its tributaries. The proposal would not impact striped bass fishing in the Atlantic Ocean, Albemarle Sound Management Area, Roanoke River Management Area, or in inland fishing waters under the jurisdiction of the N.C. Wildlife Resource Commission. 

The public may comment on the proposed management measure at a public meeting to be held:

Jan. 16 at 6 p.m.

N.C. Department of Environmental Quality’s Washington Regional Office

943 Washington Square Mall, Washington

Each speaker may comment for up to three minutes. More time may be allotted, depending on the number who sign up to speak. No other topic will be discussed at this meeting.

The public may also comment on the proposal in writing online here or by mail to:

Comments

Central Southern Striped Bass Supplement

N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries

P.O. Box 769

Morehead City, N.C. 28557

Public comment will not be accepted by email or over the telephone.

Written comments will be accepted until 5 p.m. Jan. 23.

The Division of Marine Fisheries is developing the new restriction through Supplement A to Amendment 1 to the N. C. Estuarine Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan. The division received approval to go forward with the supplement from the Marine Fisheries Commission at its November meeting and from Department of Environmental Quality Secretary Michael Regan in a Dec. 19 letter.

The division recommended the proposed temporary restriction to protect possible naturally-spawned year classes of striped bass until Amendment 2 to the N. C. Estuarine Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan is adopted. Amendment 2 could continue the no-possession provision or recommend other management actions.

Research has shown that striped bass in Central Southern Management Area are not a self-sustaining population and that fishermen are mainly catching hatchery-raised fish; however, data suggests there have now been two naturally-spawned year classes. The proposed temporary management measure would offer additional protection for those non-hatchery fish.

The proposed supplement will be brought before the Marine Fisheries Commission for adoption at its Feb. 20-22 business meeting. If approved, the management measure would be implemented by proclamation no later than March 1.

Draft Supplement A to Amendment 1 to the N. C. Estuarine Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan and other related documents may be found on the division’s website here.

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/nr-04-2019-striped-bass

Edited by Rick - 09 January 2019 at 6:10pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 5:58pm
What is the plan to protect these two year classes of fish from the gill nets?
A rising tide lifts all boats...
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by BrackishWater BrackishWater wrote:

What is the plan to protect these two year classes of fish from the gill nets?

What the MFC should do is:
  • Match the proposed 2017 WRC rule change increasing the recreational minimum size limit to 26"
  • Close all commercial harvest of striped bass in the CSMA.
  • Prohibit all gill net fishing in the Neuse(Minnesott Beach/Cherry Branch) and Pamlico(Bayview/Aurora) rivers at the ferry lines to the inland water boundaries.
  • Require full-time gill net attendance in all remaining CSMA waters.

Mail your comments here- (Immediately!)

Comments

Central Southern Striped Bass Supplement

N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries

P.O. Box 769

Morehead City, N.C. 28557

The link provided for the online survey doesn't work for me.  I get this message-
Information We're sorry. You have already taken this survey.

See if it works for you.  I did take the WRC survey, so it may be the same.

Edited by Rick - 09 January 2019 at 6:24pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
Bread Man 1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bread Man 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 11:45pm
Survey link did not work for me.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 9:30am
Rick,
I think we would have a better response if this were put in a separate thread.  Right now, folks see an 8 page thread and may not read it.

We do want folks to come out.

c
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic