FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CSMA Striped Bass- A Put and Too ManyTake Fishery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

Despicable that he did not reply. He is a public servant. He is clearly cut from the same cloth as the rest of anti-sustainable practices leaders at DMF. Nothing says ‘I don’t care what you think’ like no reply.

While a brief reply would be nice, I don't expect one...I know the Division is reading and listeningWink.  Really, they are.  I've been told by "friends" that they are spending more time than they like trying to figure out how to "reply" to my emails. 

That could be good or bad...time will tell.

While the Director's honeymoon is over for me, I hear his heart is in the right place and would like to do what's right...man... has that needle been stuck in the same groove for about eight years that I've been listening to that song.  Someone bump the machine so it skips to the next groove.  Let's finish playing this song, good or bad, I'm tired of dancing in circles.   (Analogy-Phonographs and vinyl records for you youngsters... and oldsters that remember.)  As a good friend told me today, you may eat an elephant one bite at a time that is unless he puts his foot on you and holds you there until you die. 

Edited by Rick - 06 August 2018 at 2:30pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2018 at 4:10pm
Let's remember that the Director was given proclamation authority by the Commission under the Estuarine Striped Bass FMP-

Something is only "powerful" if you are willing to use it-

General Statute 143B-289.52 allows the NCMFC to delegate the authority to implement its regulations for fisheries “which may be affected by variable conditions” to the Director of the NCDMF who may then issue public notices called “proclamations”.  Thus, North Carolina has a very powerful and flexible legal basis governing coastal fisheries management. 

North Carolina Rules for Coastal Fishing Waters – 15A NCAC 15A NCAC 03H .0103 PROCLAMATION AUTHORITY OF FISHERIES DIRECTOR
(a)  The proclamation authority granted to the Fisheries Director by the Marine Fisheries Commission within this Chapter includes the authority to close as well as open seasons and areas, to establish conditions governing various activities, and to reduce or increase the size and harvest limits from those stated in rule when specifically authorized.  It is unlawful to violate the provisions of any proclamation issued by the authority of Marine Fisheries Commission Rule.

(b)  Unless specific variable conditions are set forth in a rule granting proclamation authority to the Fisheries Director, variable conditions triggering the use of the Fisheries Director's proclamation authority may include any of the following: compliance with changes mandated by the Fisheries Reform Act and its amendments, biological impacts, environmental conditions, compliance with Fishery Management Plans, user conflicts, bycatch issues and variable spatial distributions. 
Please, someone explain to me how the CSMA Striped Bass Fishery is not in violation of FRA-97...this fishery is both overfished and has overfishing occurring.

Sustainable harvest is defined in the FRA as “The amount of fish that can be taken from a fishery on a continuing basis without reducing the stock biomass of the fishery or causing the fishery to become overfished”.

Overfished is defined as “The condition of a fishery that occurs when the spawning stock biomass of the fishery is below the level that is adequate for the recruitment class of a fishery to replace the spawning class of the fishery”.

Overfishing is defined as “Fishing that causes a level of mortality that prevents a fishery from producing a sustainable harvest”.

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2018 at 6:44pm
CSMA Striped bass are the poster child for DMF's effort to protect commercial fishing.  They've even spent money to do a study to try to refute the one by the WRC (it didn't).Angry

These fish are also a true symbol of the MFC being unwilling to do anything at all.  They just keep wringing their hands and saying - "we MIGHT not be allowed".Confused

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 11:16am
Fast closing in on 3-Years of effort to get the NCDMF/NCMFC to do what is right for the CSMA (Stocked) Striped Bass Fishery.

The 2018/2019 recreational fishing season opened Oct 1-

These are the regs for the 2018/2019 Rec Season in the CSMA-

If you get time tonight at 7PM, you might listen to this-

Ben Ricks is one of the experts on the CSMA, along with Kyle Rachels and Chad Thomas.  Ben has been involved in much of the very credible research listed/referenced in this thread.

Edited by Rick - 02 October 2018 at 4:25pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 8:09am
Anyone tune in? I don't do facebook. 
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 8:19am
Originally posted by 23Mako 23Mako wrote:

Anyone tune in? I don't do facebook. 

You can watch here-

Great video with Ben. We have to let some of those immature females grow to become "egg buses" heading upstream to spawn in the spring...hence the WRC going to a 26" size limit . Huge importance- Ben talked about a recent natural spawn, a rarity in this almost 100% stocked fishery. That natural year class of fish must be protected from "cryptic mortality"...gillnet mortality, both directed and non-directed regulatory discards.  Doing so will place more and larger females on the spawning grounds.  This will be a real jump-start for recovering the fishery. 

The MFC may be voting in November to take action in joint and coastal waters to help. 

Please help nudge that action- make a few call or emails.

Edited by Rick - 03 October 2018 at 8:23am
fiogf49gjkf0d
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 11:15am
I commend the WRC for going to the larger size limit. However, only 2% of the Striped Bass are caught in Inland waters where this rule is in effect.  It needs to be applied elsewhere, along with other rules that have been discussed.

Thanks to Ben and the others for their work on this very contentious issue.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic