FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goodbye Coach Ruff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
speckhunter80 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speckhunter80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye Coach Ruff
    Posted: 04 December 2015 at 1:18pm
ECU has fired Ruffin McNeil

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/ECU-head-football-coach-Ruffin-McNeill-has-been-relieved-of-duties-360576231.html
FriendOfTheDevil View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FriendOfTheDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2015 at 11:03am
Ought to fire the AD, rehire Coach Ruff and give Coach a raise for the aggravation. 
If I get home before daylight, I might just get some sleep tonight.
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2015 at 7:04pm
What have you done for me lately?  Unfortunately for coaches.
Dog Daze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dog Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 8:59am
He did a hell of a job at a small school that doesn't get many blue chip recruits. Always had a big win or two against the rival in state powerhouse's. Wonder what they expect with the talent they get? Let's say I get an offer to play at N.C, Duke, or N.C. State, are you going to choose ECU? Or, are you going to a bigger named school? Just a dumb move by the ECU AD.
47 Buddy Davis "Wet Dream"
dale ty View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 9:21am
I get your point Mark, Of course you would go to the "bigger/better" program. But there is not always enough room on the roster at certain positions and these player all want a shot at starting. What I'm saying is schools like ECU get a lot of their players from this overflow because they can usually play right away. Generally not the 4 and 5 star players. Just a dumb move by the AD. Now ECU will be a stepping stone job again to a better coaching job and they will be hiring a new coach every few years. I thought Ruffin did a hell of a job. He will be missed there.

2300CC Key West Bluewater Twin 115 Yami's Raleigh/Atlantic Beach"DIRTY D"
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 10:02am
Well you would think those people in charge would be college educated
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Curmudgeon View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 12:24pm
I agree with the talent dilemma, hard to compete with the heavies when recruiting. 'Ceptin, ECU can't seem to win consistently against light weights, where are they getting their talent ...       Confused
bert3706 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bert3706 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 12:46pm
I think his firing was based more on the teams performance from last season.   That team didn't do as well as they should have. 

This year he lost starting QB week before first game and then another QB left after first game.  Played the season with only one QB, Kemp.  Summers, who did play QB, transferred as a wide receiver.

I wish him all the luck in the world, he will land another job soon.

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 12:55pm
While I had hoped he would get one more year I understand the move in terms of business, which is always cruel and cold.

The first game I ever attended at ECU was 9/14/1970 and I remember it well.  I had a blind date that night who will prepare dinner for me tonight.   Let's just say ECU football and my family have grown up together.

We had season tickets for over 30 years and I think I missed five home games during that entire period.

I liked Coach Ruff and certainly wanted him to succeed, but even I saw things over the last two years that made me understand the business side of this move.  There is going to be some more moves in the NCAA conference shuffle down the road and having your football program at the right place is key.

I can count 11 coaches at ECU since my first night, that is an average tenure of 4.09 years or slightly less than the current average tenure of football coaches within the SEC which you would think it stable.

Ruff was here six years, making him 3rd in line behind Logan and Stasavich.

Stas
Magee
Randle
Dye
Emory
Baker
Lewis
Logan
Thompson
Holtz
McNeil

Don't get too close to your football coach and don't name your barnyard animals because in the end they all get "fired" in some way.
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
ecugman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecugman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 10:37am
Well said Ray.  Ruff is a great guy and a true Pirate, he will be missed.

However, there is always more to the story than most know.  This was the right decision for several reasons.  I don't care to air our dirty laundry on a public forum but as someone who follows the program pretty closely I understand and agree with the decision.  

Compher made the bold move, now he has to make if pay off or he will be next on the chopping block.  Mark it down.

Go Pirates!
Don't sweat the small stuff!
mudtoad View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 12:08pm

expanded on the original report. According to their report, the money concerns wasn't because of McNeill's salary, but the money for his assistant coaches.

Not only that, but the low-ball offer for the assistant coaches went against McNeill's already-in-place contract.

A source very close to the situation tells Hoist The Colours that the extension wasn't signed because there wasn't a large enough increase in the money pool for McNeill's assistants going forward, not because of McNeill's own salary.

McNeill's previous deal stated that the money pool for East Carolina's assistants tied into his next contract would be in the top-half of the American Athletic Conference, but the contract extension on the table didn't offer that type of raise to McNeill's assistants, according to the source.

For those wondering, here's the section of about future assistant compensation.

ECU Ruffin   

If it's true that Compher low-balled Ruffin's assistants, then it adds another black eye to Compher's image. He already fired a popular coach and ECU alum, but to not live up to a stipulation of a contract is downright scummy. And it wasn't his predecessor that signed it.

ECU Ruffin 2   

Poll

Who Should Be The ECU Athletic Director?

Jeff Compher
Anyone Else

vote view results

Small underdog lockup.0
More from Underdog Dynasty
Current And Former East Carolina Players Are Pissed About Ruffin McNeill's Firing
Georgia Southern vs Georgia State: You Can Have the "U."
Navy QB Keenan Reynolds Leaving the ESPN Nissan Heisman House Ballot Is a Mistake
Georgia Southern Replaces "GSU" with "GA.ST" on Georgia State Helmet in FOC
New Georgia Southern Football Anthem Drops in Time For the Final Home Game
ECU Fires Head Coach Ruffin McNeill

How Vanilla Became the Most Ubiquitous Flavor in the WorldPowered ByInfiniti

SB Nation Featured Video

Please upgrade your Flash Plugin

 Tweet    Share (1088) Pin    1 Comment   

In This StoryStream

ECU Fires Ruffin McNeill: Extended Coverage

Dec 7 - 1 comments

Ruffin McNeill Was Offered A Contract Extension By ECU, But Turned It Down Because It Low-Balled His Assistant Coaches

Dec 7 - 3 comments

Who Will Be The Next Head Coach At East Carolina? Here Are Some Possibilities.

8 Updates

Latest News

BOWL SEASON BE UPON US
ECU fires Ruffin McNeill for some reason
The value of ending the season on a winning note
It's time for new leadership in the Sun Belt

The Physics that Propel a Baseball Pitch, Explained