FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A contentious topic....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A contentious topic....
    Posted: 01 December 2015 at 3:44pm
Found this over the weekend. Circa 1976 or 1977. My cousin, Charlie Brown (left) and my youngest brother, Cary, oversee a typical group of fish we caught out of Whortonsville on a Saturday morning in August with stripped squid.

Can three guys have that much fun on the western Pamlico today with simple gray trout and croaker?   We weren't destroying loads of fish, but lots of folks in small boats out there the same day with similar results. That is what is missing today, just a reasonable amount of what should be very common fish, and that lack of, which has so many folks upset.

All those small spot, croaker, and gray trout being killed in recent years by large shrimp trwlers doesn't ease the pain when you see these old photos of what once was, and what we all know darn well could be again, if we simply managed for it, but we are managing for shrimp for a few rather than this for many.

Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
FishCommander View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FishCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 4:28pm
Ray.... since you are on contentious subjects this afternoon. I am hearing more and more complaints of 
commercial netters pulling their nets around rec anglers as they are fishing shorelines. In some cases they are even dragging chains on the bottom chasing fish into their nets. Somebody is going to get hurt if marine patrol doesn't step in. I would think this would be considered fisherman harrasment. If there is not a law against this practice it needs to be.Ouch
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by FishCommander FishCommander wrote:

Ray.... since you are on contentious subjects this afternoon. I am hearing more and more complaints of 
commercial netters pulling their nets around rec anglers as they are fishing shorelines. In some cases they are even dragging chains on the bottom chasing fish into their nets. Somebody is going to get hurt if marine patrol doesn't step in. I would think this would be considered fisherman harrasment. If there is not a law against this practice it needs to be.Ouch

http://www.ncfisheries.net/mfc/MFC_downloads/june2008/GillNetOperations.pdf

http://www.ncdmf.net/mfc/MFC_downloads/PNAGillNet2008.pdf

Gill Net Operation Disturbance in Primary Nursery Areas
ISSUE PAPER
June 17, 2008

Edited by Rick - 01 December 2015 at 5:25pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 6:04pm
Thanks Rick.  Thumbs Up
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 7:57pm
I can't find where a proclamation was ever issued to address this problem.  Hopefully there was one and maybe the Director will re-issue that proclamation.  He should certainly ask his staff to promptly address the issue.

It does seem that I've seen this addressed in either proclamation or rule. 

Destruction of our PNAs and SNAs is not just plain wrong, it is also illegal.  Failure to properly address this could result in legal action to end all gill netting within those areas until the Division adequately addresses the problem.

In the mean time, may I suggest that everyone exposed to such actions whip out the cell phone and take a little video.  Legal action requires a little evidence, but not a lot.

Edited by Rick - 02 December 2015 at 9:52am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
mudtoad View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 9:32pm
Ray do you ever go fishing. If you did you might realize fishing is as good as it ever was. In 1971 a friend and I and two of his friends caught 96 gray trout under the ab bridge. Two weeks ago a friend and I caught gray trout two at a time until we were sick and tired of winding them in. The difference was in 1971 we kept every one of them two weeks ago we kept 2 and the one we caught were a lot larger than the ones I caught in 71. If you would get away from that computer you would have a better outlook on the future
too many sea foxes
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 12:02am
I admit I don't fish as much as I used to, but in this world of instant coffee, instant tea, and instant communications there becomes instant disbelief.

I am glad you caught fish in peak time at the oceans edge, but what I refer to were times during the dog days of August on the western side of the Pamlico when anyone with a small boat and cut bait could simply join groups of boats and participate in the fun. Those boats catching croakers and grays don't congregate any more in that area.

When I catch or pictures pop up showing 22 inch grays and one pound croaker on the rocks of Whortonsville then I will tip my hat to the return of good times, but today's reality is nothing like it used to be. I know that, you know that, heck, even Terry Pratt knows that and he still believes river herring are as plentiful as ever each spring.

Glad you caught them till you got tired. Sounds like you have been fishing with Senator Tillman. He said he caught big red drum in the surf until he tired of it in Dare County.

Edited by Ray Brown - 02 December 2015 at 12:25am
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 9:53am
From the 2005 CHPP- page 385
http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=fd51ddfb-f9c6-4de1-8cca-9a49a4856298&groupId=38337

Last night I had a long conversation with a gentlemen who was actively involved with this issue in 2007 and 2008.  At a meeting in Washington to address management options, he took away two major points.

• Nancy Fish defended the practice as part of "heritage" gear.
  • Director Daniel said the detrimental practice must end; it was a violation of rule.
Well, it's now seven years later.

Are we still studying the issue in good ol' different NC?

Edited by Rick - 02 December 2015 at 9:53am
fiogf49gjkf0d
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 9:58am
Yep, Mud, you sure paint a picture of an N.C. the rest of us wish we lived in. If you really live there, why would you trouble yourself to come back here? Does our grief threaten you and your idyllic world somehow? Inasmuch as you have a good grip on the facts, tell us more of how great it all really is here in N.C.We love a good fishing story!
V/H Dog
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 10:10am
My fishing story is this. As recently as 1988, a person could fish within Oregon Inlet and see hundreds of gray trout , many weighing over five pounds. I personally observed many many grays which appeared to be in the ten to twelve pound class. I'm sure these fish are in fact still in existence, maybe down there by Ab in that NC mud toad assures us exists, but which is invisible if you live over in this NC where they disappeared almost thirty years ago. Maybe the long haulers have a restocking plan we have yet to hear tell of in this NC.
V/H Dog
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 11:10am
mudtoad...... a one time experience with a school of hungry gray trout does not illustrate a healthy coastal fishery. I was fishing in the 70's (up and down the coast) and it is not even close to what it was. Too much of the wrong kind of commercial gear allowed in the wrong places has brought us to this point. We are long overdue to make the changes. By the way I still fish a lot. Thumbs Up
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 12:52pm
I just received an email from Anne Deaton inviting public comment on the Draft 2015 CHPP.

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/habitat/chpp/downloads

http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=eba493ab-536a-44fe-96eb-f53805d7396b&groupId=38337

http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=f0c81335-71bd-4289-bd91-94b4d7ec1702&groupId=38337

On page 170, you will find that the division has determined that contrary to the intent of rule that protects PNAs from active fishing gears, that passive gill nets turned into active gear via dragging the bottom with hardened objects is an acceptable practice.  This is due to "low effort".

"I'm sorry officer, but I only speed when I drive, but I don't drive much.  Due to my low effort, I'm exempt from speeding tickets." Wink

Only in good ol' different NC.

Edited by Rick - 02 December 2015 at 1:17pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 2:39pm
toad be sure to post again when you have such an experience again. the "fishing report" forum is normally full of good reports this time of year and should be now. check it out. I saw a flock of fulvous tree ducks one day and right then there were plenty. haven't seen even one since. duh!!!
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 5:21pm
Found this on a search and had to bring it back to the top of the page.
fiogf49gjkf0d
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 6:23pm
Next I'm waiting for someone to suggest a gray trout and croaker hatchery (or insert your favorite overfished stock)
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 8:21pm
Already stripers and they wanted red drum. Ask Glen Skinner et al.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 9:29am
Where’s Toad? I haven’t seen anymore fulvous tree ducks either.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 6:14pm
It was good in 1997,but its not anymore and you cannot tell me it is,the Pamlico Sound has become a wasteland as it goes for certain fish getting to any size or numbers as they did in the past and saying the fishing is great does not make it so
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic