FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spanish trolling setup recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spanish trolling setup recommendations
    Posted: 01 May 2015 at 11:15am
I don't do a lot of trolling, but would like to go out for spanish this spring/summer.  Looking for suggestions on rod/reel setups for this.  Doesn't have to be brand new, in fact would prefer used so discontinued models are fine.
Thanks,
Carlton

Edited by ecblanks - 01 May 2015 at 11:17am
aka "Sandy Reel"
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 1:32pm
http://www.seastriker.com/styled-8/index.html

Start here, or do a search for many how-to-troll-for-spanish threads.

edit to add: I see your question is more gear related than technique.  I use Penn 320 or 330
GTi's on Ugly stick BW rods.  The level wind makes it easy for anyone in the boat to participate.  20 pound mono to a #1 sea striker planer, and 20 feet of 20lb flouro to a 00 clarkspoon is the most common set-up.   When fishing around Beaufort Inlet, I usually put my line out by counting 4-6 passes of the level wind after the planer is in the water.

Edited by Glacierbaze - 01 May 2015 at 1:43pm
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 2:36pm
Thanks, Glacierbaze.  Yeah I'm actually mostly looking for reel info, though rod info is also helpful.  I've one setup ready to go, but its a repurposed Diawa SL30SHV.  I have a 2nd rod that I'm going to use in the short term, and I think that 320 will match is nicely.  Thanks for the recommendation.
aka "Sandy Reel"
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:14pm
Anybody shed any light on the history of the 320 GTI.  Best I can tell it was mfgd from "Late 80's" to 2002.  I see 2 main variations:
4.5:1 ratio with guard on level wind, and printed model info
(ex> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-320-GTI-High-Speed-4-5-1-Reel-/141647808970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fade09ca)
and
4.3:1 ratio without guard and model info on sticker/plate.  
(ex. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-320-GTI-REEL-Deep-sea-Conventional-Fishing-/391125439774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b10e4951e)

Any idea which is the newer/better? the 2nd one looks the newer
aka "Sandy Reel"
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:26pm
The Daiwa SL30SH(V) paired with a 7' medium heavy rod is a perfect set-up IMO for pulling #1 planers or 4-6 oz in-line sinker.  Have also "re-purposed" my sloshes for this.  Been using this for 15+ years.

BTW, same outfits work great for old drum with Lupton rigs.

Edit - while the only levelwind conventionals I've owned are smaller ones for specks and pups, agree with Glacierbaze a levelwind is a plus when you have folks not used to fishing conventionals.  Always a bit of a learning curve for some of the troops during Military Appreciation Day. 

Edited by BaitWaster - 01 May 2015 at 3:33pm
I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie
ecblanks View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:43pm
Thanks BW, for that reaffirmation.  I never loved surfcasting with the slosh.  Break blocks are no match for mag control on my Penn's.  So now it's my trolling/cobia casting setup.
I  would use one of 525 the same way, but I want levelwind this time for the reasons y'all mentioned: to be a "guest" reel.  
aka "Sandy Reel"
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 2:38pm
What BW said X 2.  Those Daiwa "SLOSH" reels were best in show back in the day, and they still perform great.  Outstanding surf reels too! 

And ditto to GB on the levelwind.  Nice for some types of fishing and for guys not accustomed to fishing a conventional reel. 

I've grown pretty partial to lever drags for all trolling applications.  Too bad that Shimano discontinued the TLD 15s & 10s.  I like the little Avets a lot, but their clickers are too doggone quiet. 

Edited by bmac - 04 May 2015 at 2:54pm
capt_gordon View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt_gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 6:40pm
If I am going to troll for spanish (which admittedly is infrequently) I use a light spinning rod and a Yozuri deep diving plug.
Capt Gordon
"The albatross and the whale they are my brothers"
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by capt_gordon capt_gordon wrote:

If I am going to troll for spanish (which admittedly is infrequently) I use a light spinning rod and a Yozuri deep diving plug.
This..  And or a clarks spoon.  No planer or weight.  
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:25pm
I use Jigmaster and Speedmaster reels and Penn live bait rods when I troll which is not very often anymore since I found live baiting and spinning tackle years ago. But if you are trolling for Spanish you don't need a lot of heavy gear for it, just something that will pull up to a 4 oz. trolling weight or a small planer. Birds skipping a spoon works too like a lot of people.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Scott Hobbs View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Hobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:38pm
KISS keep it simple .... We do a lot of light tackle and pull Yozuri DD or Rapala XRD8's an 10 in assorted colors. If we come to a school, we pull that tackle in and cast diamond jigs, sting silvers or Dons jigs at them and have a blast
De Oppresso Liber

The healing of a soul is only a cast away.
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:59pm
Do you switch the trebles out for singles(what size and style), and how fast do you generally troll a DD"
Thanks.
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
toyotajon93 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyotajon93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 3:56pm
The most fun way is to see the schools jumping and cast at them with diamond jigs/castmasters etc. Reel as fast as you possibly can in. I've never reeled so fast as to outrun a Spanish. If you get blues then speed up your troll or speed up your retrieve even more.
rpotter View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 1:00pm
For those who troll with spinning gear and yozuri DDs, do you use braid with a leader, mono with a fluorocarbon leader, or just mono? I'm interested in the line setup.
rpotter
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 5:41pm
I have four of these that are on their 35th season spooled with 30 pound line.  Yes, they are over-kill in size but have sure been simple and caught more Spanish than I can remember.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Sealine-50H-Conventional-Reel-Made-in-Japan-/112042141027

I think I'm on the third set of rods.  I started out using them as an all-around combo for summer Spanish trolling, live baiting kings and trolling spoons for snakes.  Those first two sets of rods are sitting in the shop waiting patiently for me to re-wrap the threads.  The new set is doing doing just fine.
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic