FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

***Official Redfish Report Thread***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 196>
Author
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by paulg1 paulg1 wrote:

.... Couldn't get one to touch a top water plug.....

Debbie did manage to get a 5+ lb trout almost to the net. The line broke above the popping cork. ....

I threw a Top Dog Jr. for 3 hours yesterday morning and only had 2 blowups, with no fish landed.  

I was fishing a mud minnow on a Carolina rig on Saturday and the reel starting singing.  Felt like a ray, fought like a ray.  I cursed it as I worked it toward the boat and didn't bother with the net.  Pulled it up next to the boat and it was a 20"+-something trout.  It saw the boat, made a run, jumped and shook the hook.  Ouch

Since it got away, I'm sure it was the biggest trout I've ever hooked.  LOL

Edited by Mal_Pais - 20 August 2007 at 3:54pm
paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 4:31pm
I guess the big trout were around Saturday.  Can't wait for the water to start chillin.  Caught 3 Sunday in the 16-18" range on mud minnows.  Hooked a ray that we were sure was a big trout!!!!Ying%20Yang

Sorry, forgot this was the redfish report.
"I may be stupid but I'm ugly"
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 10:14pm
had the pleasure of sorta guiding 2 marines and pirates aboard saturday for a small get together they had for the milataryn and managed to get them in 2 first place slots 1> most reds and 2>biggest red.
 to the spoils went a rod and reel and a dinner for both Big%20smile
 here is the photos jr is the first with a 19 inch red and james with his 25 incher fighting and finishing Clap

THIS IS JAMES SOMEHOW I GOT MORE PICS OF HIM THAN JAMES AND SOME ARE FROM THE CAPTIAN'S CAMERA

AND THIS IS CHUICK OR CAPTIAN ABOARD THE PIRATES ABOARD AND IT WAS A SWEET RIDING BOAT

ALL IN ALL IT WASNT A GREAT DAY BUT AT LEAST I WAS ABLE TO PUT THEM ON SOME FISH AND GET THEM PLACED,NOW IM LOOKING FOWARD TO NEXT YEARS EVENT Big%20smile

THANKS AGAIN CHUCK FOR HAVIN ME Wink
RED FISH ITS NOT A OBSSESION BUT A PASSION!!!

minds are like parachutes!!!!!
they only funtion when open !!!!
DRGrimsley View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRGrimsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 12:25am
Went 1 for 3 on big drum Sunday night on the Pamlico.  Wife got her citation fish, 48".  Lost two others.
Greenville, NC
szextreme View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szextreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 6:59pm
Hey guys just droppin in to see how everyone is doin! looks like the drum have picked up since I left! went out on a boat finally after being home for a month got one red here in fl about 19.5" great to have a bent rod again with a familure face. buddies house has a pond/inlet hooked up with my first tarpon ever off the bank and snook down here are runnin wild! ncpierman, paulg1 great to see the fish pouring in the boats. I did miss it down here in florida with the white sand bottoms it makes the water look so clear and almost aqua in color, but still miss being up there with all of you NC anglers! keepem coming in I love to catch up with you guys cause its my old stomping grounds.
GEMAN View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 11:58pm
DRGrimsley,
  sound or river? caught 2 out of Oriental Sunday nite 30 & 41"

IT IS TIME
DRGrimsley View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRGrimsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 12:07pm
Fishing the river, GEMAN.  I figured this fish was pushing 60 lbs.  One of the fattest fish I have ever seen.
Greenville, NC
free2fish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 1:36pm

Hi Szextreme,

Yes, the drum fishing has really heated up.  We have gone every weekend and several nights within the week and have scored each time.  All fish have been at least 19" and up to 27" so far as this particular undisclosed location with anywhere between 2-10 landings per trip.  Have had some luck with artificials, nothing will hit top water at the moment but mostly all caught on live finger mullet, shimp or pinfish under a popping cork. 

Attached is a pic from yesterday evenings trip.

"Friends are the only thing you got; have a drink" Bear
stiner19er View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiner19er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 7:18pm
Free2fish,
Now that's one purty puppy drum! That's not the "Haystacks" is it ? Congrats!
-Stiner19er
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 11:03pm
DRGRIMSLEY,
 MAN THATS A BIG DRUM 60+ I WOULDVE LOVED TO HAVE ATLEAST GLIMPSED THE ONE THE WIFE HAD IN OUR FAVORITE COVE ON THE CREEK AWHILE BACK,IT WAS ALL I  COULD DO TO GET HER TICA ROD OUT OF THE ROD HOLDER FOR HER AND BY THE TIME I GOT SOME WHAT A HEAD ON MY SHOULDERS AND REACHED FOR AN ANCHOR LINE THE FISH CUT HER OFF Ouch
 SHE WAS LIKE A CHILD THAT JUST HAD HER CANDY STOLEN,OH WELL I GUESS THATS WHY WE KEEP GOING BACK WE KNOW THERE IN THERE WE JUST GOTTA BE PATIENT Wink 
 TELL YOUR WIFE WE SAID CONGRATS Thumbs%20Up
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 12:08am
Originally posted by free2fish free2fish wrote:

Hi Szextreme,

Yes, the drum fishing has really heated up.  We have gone every weekend and several nights within the week and have scored each time.  All fish have been at least 19" and up to 27" so far as this particular undisclosed location with anywhere between 2-10 landings per trip.  Have had some luck with artificials, nothing will hit top water at the moment but mostly all caught on live finger mullet, shimp or pinfish under a popping cork. 

Attached is a pic from yesterday evenings trip.

Nice dog.
Big Gaddy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Gaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 1:31am
Had a good evening Sunday fishing out of Oriental went 8 of 15 on old drum. Did not weigh any but estimate 30 to 50 lb range. Done by 8:00PM.
paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 2:10pm
free2fish.....I don't know what's prettier, the fish or the mountains.  But you need a shave.
"I may be stupid but I'm ugly"
free2fish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 2:21pm
You should smell my breath since I like to eat mullets whole!  Oh the "dog days" of summer. 
"Friends are the only thing you got; have a drink" Bear
Scott Hobbs View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Hobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 3:35pm
Don;t think the bad breath is from licking/eating mullet Dawg gone

tight lines <*)))))>{
De Oppresso Liber

The healing of a soul is only a cast away.
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 11:33pm
ME AND MY SON HIT THE CREEK LAST NITE AROUND 7:30 PM AND BY 11 PM WE HAD 7 LANDED THE BIGGEST BEING 25 INCHES ALONG WITH A 17 INCH FLOUNDER TO WHICH BOTH CAME HOME FOR DINNER TODAY Wink
 ALL WERE CAUGHT IN THE RAIN ON LIVE MULLET AT HIGH TIDE

THIS PIC IS BLURRY DONT KNOW WHY BUT OH WELL SORRY,FORGOT THE CAMERA IN THE TRUCK AS WELL THATS WHY NO OTHER PICS SORRY ME BAD LOL

FOR ALL THOSE GOING OUT TONITE OR TOMORROW TIGHT LINES AND SCREAMIN DRAGS TO YOU ALL MOST OF ALL BE SAFE OUT THERE Big%20smile

Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 11:57pm
Nice job nc pierman.  Mawdukescreeper is kicking some serious a.  Cool
RouseD View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RouseD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 10:50am

Tim, do you think these fish have something against me? Really, I haven't given them a good chance yet.  I have only fished with artificils and from  kayak, but I'm learning the creek and more on how to fish for reds all the time. I want one that will pulll me around. The 19inch one could do it a little, but not like a larger one could.

PiratesAboard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiratesAboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 2:31pm
Tim did the 25 incher have a circle hook mark from a week ago in it's lip?   
"Winners win, and losers make excuses. It's as simple as that." Joe Garagiola
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 9:33pm
DENNISE,
 NO THEY DONT HAVE ANY THING AGAINST YOU LOL BUT THEY WOULD RATHER REAL FOOD THAN ARTIFICIALS Wink BE PATIENT IT WILL HAPPEN.

ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 9:35pm
REDFISH,
 NOT YET MY FRIEND JUST GETTING WARMED UP BUT THANKS JUST THE SAME Wink

ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 9:36pm
CHUCK,
 NO IT DIDNT HAVE A HOOK MARK UNLESS IT HEALED OVER THAT FAST LOL SO THAT ONE FROM THAT WEEKEND IS STILL OUT THERE Wink

PiratesAboard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiratesAboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 10:30pm
The way James fought that one off the bar I doubt seriously it has healed, so it must still be. Anyone out there ever have the priviledge to fish Tim's stomping grounds with him do so. He's a real Stand Up Guy that knows his stuff, cares, and is a true steward of the fishery.   
"Winners win, and losers make excuses. It's as simple as that." Joe Garagiola
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 11:49pm
Embarrassed THANKS CHUCK FOR THE KIND WORDS,IM JUST AN AVERAGE FISHERMAN WHO LIKES TO SHARE WHAT I GET TO DO Wink

Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 11:57pm

Caught this red today at high noon.  Thanks for the help guys.  What a major pain in the ass to post a pic.  Finger mullet was the ticket for this ride.

Edited by Redfish - 26 August 2007 at 12:00am
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 12:46am
Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up GREAT CATCH REDFISH MAN I KNOW WHAT YA MEAN ABOUT POSTING PICS I LIKE THE OLD WAY BETTER AND AS FOR THE MULLET,ILL TAKE EM OVER ANY OTHER BAIT ANY DAY Wink

drumchaser View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumchaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 3:35am
Thumbs%20Up

Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 1:38am
Today was good for reds.  My buddy and I got out early (after the rain) and worked a creekbank until we found a school.  Smallish fish, but they bit good through high tide.  Another buddy showed up with his son and hooked up on a few.

This bite turned off as the water dropped, so we chased mullet for a while, then hit a low tide spot.  Found a school of larger fish along an oyster bar.

I have about 10 more pics of similar sized fish, but you get the idea.  My arms and shoulders are going to be sore tomorrow. 

Only one deep hooked fish; we let him keep the hook, and he swam off in good shape, so I think he'll be OK.  A good day on the water.

RouseD View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RouseD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 7:34am
Tim, if things don't improve, I may just take my cast net, but everyone will hate me. I'll probably run everything out of the creek.
stiner19er View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiner19er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 5:07pm
With the wife out of town for the weekend, an approaching full moon, and calm winds, it was setting up to be a prime time drum fishing. All of my fishing buddies had “things to do”, so I hit the water alone at 5:45am Saturday morning. Found some finger mullets and gathered up a few dozen in the cast net while I got chewed by noseums. At my 1st spot, I landed 3 drum 16-22”. I moved on to spot #2 and landed 5 more pups, again 16-22”. With the tide beginning to fall out, I tried finding some more fish in some deeper holes. I found a school of little pups (about 10”) and caught about a dozen…they still pull like crazy for only 10”! I left the little school to explore a bit more and found a great spot. Landed quite a few more decent drum there, with the best being a nice 26” who spooled my Stradic 1000…what a fight and boy were my arms tired after that!
After that fish made it into the cooler, I caught a few more and then decided to search for some more bait for the incoming tide in the evening. I made my way back to my starting location and setup for the incoming tide. 1st line in…25” drum, the next fish screamed my reel and it took about 10 minutes to land this one…27+” and had to be pushing 7 lbs. The action continued with a great mix of silvery and bronze drum all over 25”. I lost count after 20 fish…what a day of fishing. If there was any bad part of the day, it was that the memory stick for my digital camera was broken and I was only able to get a few pictures.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 196>
  Share Topic