FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

***Official Redfish Report Thread***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 196>
Author
olsaltydog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:38pm

sorry double post

Edited by olsaltydog - 06 October 2008 at 12:40pm
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:39pm

another double post

Edited by olsaltydog - 06 October 2008 at 12:41pm
paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 2:07pm
Spotail.........It was a white gulp 3" pogy.  By the way, if anyone knows where to get them around Morehead I'd really like to know.

Griffdawg.......You sure this wasn't the flounder? LOL

Edited by paulg1 - 06 October 2008 at 2:16pm
"I may be stupid but I'm ugly"
PiratesAboard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiratesAboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 4:19pm
Cpt Ren, those black spots in the surf aint sharkies... Great job... And Paul and Debbie, goes w/o saying you two have mastered the area you target even under challenging conditions... Great job all..
"Winners win, and losers make excuses. It's as simple as that." Joe Garagiola
griffdawg11 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffdawg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 12:15am

Took a buddy out for a bout 3 hours today. We landed 8 fish, 4 flounder and 4 drum. He lost two nice reds, probably 24-28 range. He landed a 16 in drum and a small flounder. I landed 3 flounder and 3 drum one flounder was 18 in. and the drum were a skinny 24, skinny 20, and a fat 24. Caught the big one on a pink jerk shad. He as chasing some mullet, and as soon as i let the jerk bait fall he nailed it.

akeisler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akeisler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 12:22am
nice feesh Clap
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in his boat and drink beer all day
stiner19er View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiner19er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 12:40am
GriffDAWG...way to go!!!
jcinnb View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcinnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:19am
Not much to say other than, WOW!!!!!

jcinnb

"When all was said and done, a lot more was said than done"

"Cool Runnings" green hull, Hewes LT 20, 150 YAMI, M-K RT-80
Malibu Kayak X-Factor
paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 11:03am
That's a real fatboy!  Bet he pulled like he was 6" longer.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 11:15am
Nice fish, Griff.  Thumbs%20Up  I'm going to go out and scare a few this afternoon, hoping for cloud cover to fire up the topwater bite.
That redfish looks just like a puppy drum, son. - My Dad
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 11:27am
great job griff,Thumbs%20Up

Went out yesterday, got only 1 Red a nice fat 24"er, 1 Black Drum, and a really nice 19" Croaker that was fat as can be. swimed b/c i let the croaker go thinking it was a Red without a spot on the tail not paying much attention since i already had the 24"er. but kicked myself hard after i let it go. Will post pics later.
jcinnb View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcinnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 4:35pm

Originally posted by olsaltydog olsaltydog wrote:

.....and a really nice 19" Croaker that was fat as can be.....

Cool report.  That was close to a world record wasn't it?  Wow!!!Big%20smile

Malibu Kayak X-Factor
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffdawg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 4:49pm

thanks fellas, good luck there Mal. I was going to try the topwater yesterday, but decided to stay with the spinner bait.

Paul you are exaclty right. Before I netted him I thought for sure I had an over slot, but Ill take a short fat one all day long
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 7:06pm
Nah i dont think it was big enough for the state record. im sure and easy 3.5lbs but not bigger than a 5.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 7:13pm
Heres the pics from yesterday. the first one is my dog wanting to know what i got and the second one is of course me and the fish. makes a good christmas card i think.

ice cream man View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ice cream man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 8:59pm
Caught & released 5 Reds - 1 on Topwater 4 on live finger Mullet........
One was about 32 " long with Shark bites on it's body.............ICM
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 1:20am
Not much of a redfish report.  Took a co-worker who usually fishes the Pamlico River and introduced him to the Newport River.  Sorry, no pics.

Had 1 red on a SheDog that was C&Red at boatside (he pulled the hook), looked to be in the 25-26" range.  Caught about 10 trouts (a couple on popping cork-4" gulp shrimp, the rest on a chrome ShePup) between 15"-23".  Two of 'em were chunky 4 lbers.  OK, to be honest, 1 was 3 lb, 11 oz and the other was 4 lb, 1 oz. 

The trout bite was slow but steady.  The redfish bite wasn't happening.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:46am
well ill take trout over nothing anyday. good job on that single red though i got one yesterday at 17 1/2". Almost a keeper but even if he broke the lower end of the limit i still wouldnt keep him. prefer dinner to be between 23-26"
jcinnb View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcinnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:50am

Originally posted by Mal_Pais Mal_Pais wrote:

Not much of a redfish report.  Took a co-worker who usually fishes the Pamlico River and introduced him to the Newport River. 

MP:  When you go "in the afternoon," what hours are you talkin about?  If you don't mind.

jcinnb

Malibu Kayak X-Factor
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 4:10pm
We were out yesterday from 3 PM until dark.  I was trying to take advantage of the light winds, forecasted cloud cover, the falling tide, and the moonrise and find a topwater bite. 
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 11:24am
Well decided to go surf fishing yesterday. Pulled up and a guy leaving said he caught 8 Reds, 4 Blacks, Few Pompano and Few Flounder. So i was happy to be there. My report, tons of blues 16-22". One hit doubled over my pole ripped the spike out of the sand and dragged the pole 20ft down towards the surf before i got to it and fought him for 4-6 mins before he snapped my line. Never saw what it was but ill bet he was either a red or a huge Blacky. Before i left did manage a nice 24 1/2" Red which i was happy with. One landed one kept and one good dinner. Going to try again today and hope to get another.
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 1:23pm
O.S.D,
 WHERE WERE YOU SURF FISHING? TRY BEAR ISLAND BETWEEN THE 5TH AND 7TH CAMP SITE THATS WHERE I WAS GETTING REDS,5 BUCKS TO GET TO THE ISLAND FOR THE DAY ONCE YA GET ON THE ISLAND GO UP THE TRAIL TO THE WALK WAY AND GO LEFT TO THE BEACH WALK 300 YARDS LOOK FOR THE SLOUGHT AND THEN FISH,WE USED DEAD BAIT ON THE BOTTOM,LOTS OF SHARKS WHEN WE WERE THERE BUT NICE REDS IN THE MIX.

FALL IS HERE WHERE IS ALL THE REDS CANT BELIEVE NOBODY HAS BEEN FISHING THIS WEEKEND FOR THEM COMMON GUYS AND GALS I NEED MY RED FIX LOL
RED FISH ITS NOT A OBSSESION BUT A PASSION!!!

minds are like parachutes!!!!!
they only funtion when open !!!!
rctaylor View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rctaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 2:34pm

ncpierman,   you may not rember ?  you met me at the ferry landing at queens creek one morning i was on a blue alum. boat and you gave us some bait you caught and took us bottom fishing. thanks for your hospitality!  i read you had been in a wreck, sorry! just wanted to let you know the reds are still on around swansboro! been catching them throwing jigs and bottom fishing. 27" last weekend 6to 8 in 21"to 24"and a couple of gray trout.

paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 3:02pm
Sorry Tim!  My boat's been in the shop.  I did manage to catch the biggest flounder and spanish this season off the Sheraton Pier this week!

Oh yea!  It rained ALL DAY YESTERDAY!  4.5" in my rain guage.  I'll be on em this week!  I'll get you some good pics.

UPDATE:  just talked to my mechanic and it looks like I'll be boatless for a least 10 days while parts are ordered.

Edited by paulg1 - 13 October 2008 at 12:54pm
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 11:37pm
Nice fishing, fellows.  Word on the street is that Stiner and Griffdawg had a good day.

My buddy and I looked for somewhere out of the wind.  The bite was slow.  Caught 2 bluefish on topwaters, a little flounder on a gulp, 4 specks on pink gulp shrimp, the ubiquitous and requisite lizardfish, and this little 22" pup-let on a popping cork/gulp. 

Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffdawg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 12:25am
Mal, that is the one we were looking for all day. We set out to get the slam, did that 4 times, and then got greedy trying to get a nice one like that 22. Nice fish!(kool spots)
stiner19er View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiner19er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 8:37am
Yup...all in all we caught fish, which was nice to even get a bite after such a rain on Sat. As Griff said, we set out for a slam and got 4 . The trout bite was the best. Little flounder would not stay of your lures, and the drum we found were all under-slot. Once we had a slam we really wanted to find some upper-slot Reds, but struck out on that . It was definitely nice to see the trout hitting so good....here's a few pics.

PiratesAboard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiratesAboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 10:16am
Great catches all you's guys, you're killing me..... Daughter's wedding successfully behind us now, off to the coast to catch. But I have a lot of ground to make up.... Save some...
"Winners win, and losers make excuses. It's as simple as that." Joe Garagiola
jcinnb View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcinnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 11:13am
Get your hands off my pet flounder.  I am tellin' you. Wink

Great pics and post, as usual.

jcinnb

Malibu Kayak X-Factor
paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 11:48am
ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Pretty work guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 196>
  Share Topic