FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

***Official Redfish Report Thread***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 196>
Author
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 1:35am

TAMJ,

GREAT JOB PUTTING HER ON SOME DRUM SHELL BE HOOKED FOR LIFE NOW

SZEXTREME,

WAY TO GO ON THOSE NICE FAT REDS MAN WE ME AND THE MRS ARE PLANNING ON DRUM TATS AS WELL AND THIS IS WHAT THERE GONNA LOOK LIKE

MINUS THE TROUT AND THE LURE ITS GONNA HAVE A MULLET IN ITS MOUTH

RED FISH ITS NOT A OBSSESION BUT A PASSION!!!

minds are like parachutes!!!!!
they only funtion when open !!!!
ncdelsol View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdelsol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 1:43am
 Thanks for all the red info  Looking like tomorrow is going to be a grand day for fishing. 
szextreme View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szextreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 1:58pm
That will be a nice tat post em up when you get them I am interested in how they turn out! Think my next one will be a Mahi Mahi Bone on the other shoulder already have it picked out! I just like the look of the bone structure. Found the red on a "Get Reel Get Fish" shirt it was the inshore slam one, the Mahi is coming off another of their shirts but its the OffShore slam! Great work everyone I was begining to lose hope around the morehead, beaufort area seems like all the good spots are hung up with nets  Really glad to see some reds in the middle to upper slot range! On Friday Jason hooked up on the Fly Rod for the first time and got her close to the boat probably the biggest one of the school and she spit the shrimp. Man I am amped up about this fishing this past weekend!
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:08am

GOT TO TAKE MY GRANDDAUGHTER FOR HER FIRST TRIP OUT ON THE BOAT AND HER FIRST TRIP FOR DRUM THINK SHELL GO AGAIN???????????

I THINK SO TOO

HERE IS MY WIFE WITH HER FIRST DRUM OF THE NITE

THEN MY GRANDDAUGHTER TORI WITH HER FIRST EVER DRUM  

AND THE WIFE AGAIN BEFORE WE HAD TO BEAT THE STORM IN TONITE. 

ALL FISH WERE CAUGHT ON EITHER LIVE MANHADDEN OR MULLETS

TIGHT LINES AND SCREAMIN DRAG TO YA ALL AND BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

szextreme View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szextreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 10:23am

Lets not forget about this Forum seen a lot of pics of the REDS and knowone is posting up in here!!!!

BTW EVERYONE,

I am coming up on my 5yr mark in the Marine Corps. and I am planning on leaving NC for the warmer waters of home in FL. Been a great tour up here for the past 3 1/2 yrs in NC and some great fishing opportunities both inshore and offshore. I wish everyone the best of luck up here and will definetly keep in touch with the site and people on here. NC is a great place and I will definetly miss it. remember tight lines and screaming drag!!!!!!!

PS. GET THOSE NETTERS!

ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 7:22pm

SZEXTREME,

BROTHER GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY THE REDS DOWN THERE,THE FISHIN FOR THEM THERE ISNT MUCH DIFFERNT THAN HERE SO TIGHT LINES AND SCREAMIN DRAGS TO YOU MY FRIEND.

AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO KEEP US FREE   

szextreme View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szextreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 3:33pm
I leave for two weeks and this one has already gone down the drain! NCPIERMAN I'm leaving this one to you! keep it alive
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2007 at 9:14pm

SZEXTREME,

THANKS MY FRIEND ILL TRY TO DO MY BEST WITH IT FOR YA Wink

free2fish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 12:06pm
I've been waiting for the image upload to become a little easier before posting but I did manage 9 pups a couple saturdays ago.  Got a super early start and was on site in the MHC area just before sun up.  Another solo mission.

All fish were caught on live finger mullet in the 2" range below a popping cork w/ about 2' of flouro leader w/ #2 circle hook.   Biggest was 23" with the rest in the 19" to 20" range.  All fish were released except one since it has been a while since the family has had some fresh fish! 

Went back to the same spot after baby bed time and scored one more.  Hopefully hitting it later this week and into the weekend for some tailing action.  Will post if successful.   
"Friends are the only thing you got; have a drink" Bear
paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 1:01pm
SZEXTREME,

It's been a real pleasure having you here.  Maybe I'll run into you in FL one of these days....no netters to worry about! Wink 

Between the fish that my wife and PIERMAN'S wife catch we should be able to keep reports coming on this thread.

On friday, Debbie and I headed to the marshes in Swansboro.  We managed 2 reds that were barely in the slot.  Mine was at the low end but her's was at the high end.  I couldn't get the pic to load so just flip back a page or 2 and you'll see a pic of her with one about the same size.

Sunday we went to the haystacks.  Caught 2 low end reds on plastic but the topwater bite was real strange.  Debbie and I both hung 2 decent sized reds but none of them got to the boat.  After a brief fight they just came off.  This very rarely happens, maybe 1 in 50, so it was weird that it happened 4 times in a row.  They seemed to be aggressive as it only took one try for each of them to get hooked.  Did the usual wait to feel the weight of the fish, then set the hook but they only stayed on from 5 to 20 seconds.  Anybody have any ideas?

Chris, you should try topwater............just use sharper hooks I guess.
"I may be stupid but I'm ugly"
free2fish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 1:09pm
Hi Paul,

Glad to see you and Debbie are still slaying them!  Carteret Co legends.  I had the topwater rigged up but they were biting so well I didn't want to jinx myself.  I had been in a slump lately on the fish so was going with the bird in the hand theory.  Maybe some topwater this week / end.  Perhaps I'll see you out.  If I do I'll know I'm in the right spot!

CF

PS. szextreme good luck in your new ventures down Fla way.  Keep us posted.   
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 4:12pm
Paulg, I saw you and your lady heading toward your drum hole Sunday as I was leaving a nearby creek. 

Couldn't find any good-sized fish.  My buddy landed a few that were this size (18") in that general area.

Edited by Mal_Pais - 08 August 2007 at 4:17pm
RouseD View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RouseD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 2:13pm
I am learning a lot from this trhead. I'm new at fishing for drum form my kayak.
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 8:25pm
WELL, WELL, WELL,
   ME AND MY SON FINALLY GOT OUT ON THE WATER AFTER I SPENT THE DAY YESTURDAY REPAIRING MY MOTOR SHAFT AND WE HAD A GREAT TIME OUT THERE Wink
  WE HIT THE CREEK ABOUT 8 AM AND CAUGHT SOME BAIT AND HEADED DOWN TO OUR FIRST HOOLE WHERE I MANAGED A 14 INCH FLOUNDER ON A PIECE OF CUT BAIT ON A CORK,LET IT GO TO GET BIGGER AND WE DIDNT HAVE A CAMERA ON BOARD AT THE TIME,WELL WE DID BUT NO BATTERYS IN HIS CAMERA Cry
 AFTER THIS NEXT FISH WE DID GO GET A CAMERA WITH BATTERYS,THIS BAD BOY OR GIRL WAS CAUGHT ON A CHEWED UP MULLET THAT HAD BEEN SOAKING FOR ABOUT 25 MINUTES AND IS MY SONS BIGGEST DRUM TO DATE ClapHE STILL HAS TO TOP ME NOT JUST TIE ME LIKE THIS ONE DID Wink

then he managed this nice 22 1\2 incher

and then at another spot i hooked this nice 21 1\2 incher

i lost 4 from that spot all nice drum but 20 pound leader is no match for oyster rocks LOL

this is the tag and release of the fish i tagged for him the fish was 32 long girth was 16 1\2 not sure of the wieght since i didnt relize i had the scales with me until too late

all in all it was agreat day for fishing but not for my motor found out now i need a water pump Confused just had one put in last year now time for another Ouch told the motor guy to get 2 cause ya never know Wink

ran in to jim allen and his stepson out there just after we released the 32 incher and he came to the second hole we were catching fish from,jim if your reading this right after you left they turned on hard i managed to get cut off 4 times before you left the cove Embarrassed

all were caught on cut or live mullet with a carolina rig.

tomorrow me and the mrs are looking foward to going with midnight wind for a day off shore so i hope to have another report for ya all tomorrow.

tight lines and screamin drags to you all and most of all be safe out there Clap

drumchaser View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumchaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 8:26pm
nice drum mal

RouseD View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RouseD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2007 at 11:21am
Tim, I am enjoying this thread and hope it keeps on going. I wasn't able to fish this weekend, and my plans to improve my yak cart went kaput also. I am thinking about giving it another try this coming weekend if my wife is OK with it. Not sure about that yet.  You have so many nice fish. Bet that granddaugher is ready to go again by now.
WilmingtonSkip View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilmingtonSkip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 12:13pm

Finally get to post on this thread.  Got this fellow to take a mullet under a popping cork I threw out behind the boat while I peppered the grassline with a gulp.  I think next time out I'll just throw a few more of them out and do less work.  Location was in the area of Rich's inlet norht of Fig 8 Island.

Edited by WilmingtonSkip - 13 August 2007 at 12:14pm
paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 12:24pm
Nice fish Skip!  Don't give up the casting.  Nothing beats the feel of thinking you're hung on an oyster only to feel it start moving. ...... except seeing them roll on a topwater plug.
greg manning View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 1:37pm
Posted earlier...thought I'd add my little boys first slot drum to the thread.  We have been working hard to get him a keeper....appreciate the advice from the very good inshore fishermen on the site.
Broadway/Snead's Ferry
Cape Horn 31
Intruder 198
Reakin Havoc View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reakin Havoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 5:49pm

Went out on my father-in-law's Coastal Skiff Saturday. We were drifting in the White Oak for some flatboys, no luck there.  He was dragging a bottom rig with a shrimp on one hook and a mullet on the other, when he hooked up on doubles... 2 pups, one about 14" and the other was 21". He smoked me, all I could manage was 2 small pups..

2100CC Sea Pro 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. Good fishing to all!!!
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 11:53am

Edited by Mal_Pais - 16 August 2007 at 11:59am
free2fish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 12:07pm
That is an amazing pic Mal_Pais.  Between last Sat and Sun I must have witnessed at least 25 tails and countless pushes and wakes.  Frustrating because I could only get one to bit. 

Any general advise, aside from stealth, on catching them on the flats and grass?  Top water was a spooker, I used some weedless large mouth bass worms, spoon, gulp and live bait just on a leader no weight.  One of my issues was time since I only had about 2 hours each day. 

Thanks   
JYJ2 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JYJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 12:37pm
Fished a half-day yesterday in the marshes behind Wrightsville.  Last couple of hours of the rising and then into falling tide.  Tried spinner baits and topwater the whole time.  Didn't see any schools to throw a fly to, but had a few swim under the boat.  One well over 30 inches.  Ended up catching three on a Top Dog, off points and oyster bars.  If a strike and hookup on an over-the-slot fish on topwater doesn't get your hear beating, you're dead!  First time trying to post pic.
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2007 at 1:42am
 HAD THE HONOR OF FINALLY GETTING MY COUSIN DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINS AND FINALLY OUT FOR SOME RED DRUM FISHING 101 Big%20smile
  HE (JEFF) NEVER FISHED FOR RED DRUM BEFORE BUT IS AN AVID FISHERMAN FROM UP NORTH WHO HAS MANY VERY LARGE TROUT (MOUNTAIN) AND SALMON FROM UPPER NEW YORK AS WELL AS LARGE MOUTH BASS UNDER HIS BELT AND THOUGHT HE WAS UP FOR WHAT A RED COULD DO TO A FISHERMAN AND HIS GEAR LOL
 LUCKILY I LET HIM USE MY GEAR INSTEAD OF HIS,HAD I NOT HE'D BE GOING HOME WITH PIECES OF GEAR INSTEAD OF WHOLE GEAR LOL
 WE HIT THE CREEK TUESDAY NITE AROUND 8 PM AND CAUGHT ENOUGH BAIT ON THE FIRST NET TO FISH THE NITE AWAY OR SO I THOUGH,I HAD PLENTY OF MENHADEN WITH THE FIRST NET AND AT THE FIRST SPOT WE FISH THE DRUM CHOOSE TO THUMB THERE NOSES AT ITConfused,SO I HAD GOTTEN A FEW MULLETS AS WELL AND DECIDED TO MOVE AND TRY THEM ELSE WHERE.
 NEXT HOLE WE FISHED PROVED TO BE A GOOD CHOICE SINCE THE FIRST LINE IN PRODUCED A VIOLENT STRIKE BUT WENT UN ANSWERED BY OUR NEW DRUM FISHERMAN FROM THE NORTH LOL
 AFTER WHAT SEEMED LIKE A LIFE TIME HE MANAGED TO FINALLY CATCH THE FISH THAT HAD BEEN HITTING HIM AND HE THOUGHT WOW WHAT A FIGHT IT WAS A 17 3\4 DRUM AND I TOLD HIM THAT WAS A BABY AND IF HE THOUGH THAT ONE FOUGHT WAIT TILL HE GOT AHOLD OF HIS SISTER OR MOTHER Wink
 SHRIMPERS CAME BY TWICE SO WE MOVED FIGURING IT WAS A LOST CAUSE WHERE WE WERE AND MAN WHAT DIFFERENCE IT PROVED TO BE,THE TIDE WAS COMING IN AND LOOKED LIKE IT WAS GONNA BE A FLOOD TIDE SO WE SET UP ON A FISHY LOOKING BANK AND STARTED WITH LIVE MULLET,10 MINUTES GOES BY AND HIS FIRST ROD DIPS AND COMES BACK UP THEN MY ROD DOES THE SAME ,HE LOOKS AT ME AND ASKS WHAT IS THAT?
 I TELL HIM ITS A DRUM TASTING THE BAITS BEFORE IT DECIDES ON WHICH ONE IT WANTS,5 MINUTES GOES BY AND NOTHING Confused SO I TELL HIM IT DOESN'T LIKE THE TASTE OF OUR LIVE MINNOWS AND I STARTED TO REAL ONE IN AND HE ASK WHAT I'M DOING?
  I SAID ALOT OF THE TIME IF THEY DON'T TAKE IT ALIVE YOU BRING IT IN AND CUT THE TAIL OFF AND TOSS IT BACK OUT AND THEY'LL TAKE IT LIKE THAT,HE SAYS NO WAY, I SAID YES IF THEY DON'T WANT IT ALIVE THEN KILL IT AND SERVE IT PROPER AND YOU'LL HAVE A GREAT FIGHT,TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT ,I RE-CASTED IT OUT AND SET IT IN FRONT OF HIM AND BEFORE THE ROD WAS ALL THE WAY IN THE HOLDER A 25 1\2 INCHER WAS SCREAMING HIS ROD AND HE WAS AMAZED AT THE PERSISTENCE AND POWER OF THESE FISH Big%20smile
 NEEDLESS TO SAY HE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE HOOKED ON DRUM Wink,HE MANAGED 4 OR FIVE DRUM FOR THE NITE BEFORE HE DECIDED HE HAD ENOUGH AND THE DRUM WON FOR NOW BY TIRING HIM OUT LOL BUT WE ENDED THE TRIP WITH A SWEET 26 1\2 INCHER FOR ME THAT NITE AND IT WAS ALL DONE AND SAID BY 11:30 PM Embarrassed
 ENOUGH OF MY BABBLING ONTO THE PICKS SO ENJOY HERE THEY ARE IN THE ORDER THEY WERE CAUGHT Big%20smile

WELL FOR ALL THOSE GOING OUT TOMORROW TIGHT LINES AND SCREAMIN DRAGS TO YOU ALL MOST OF ALL BE SAFE OUT THERE AND HAVE FUN Wink

RouseD View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RouseD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2007 at 8:18am
Tim, you guys really had a great fishng tirp. I may give Queens Creek another try tomorrow.
top water chart View Drop Down
NCW Official Sponsor
NCW Official Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote top water chart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2007 at 8:12pm

My 2 cents worth

TWC
Top Water Charters
www.fishtopwatercharters.com
25' Downeaster???250 Suzuki
Big Fish on Light Tackle
tamj View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2007 at 8:21pm
WOW!!!! nice fish..congrats Clap
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2007 at 10:03pm
Found 2 schools today, mostly undersized fish, but we found a few 20" reds.  Gulp natural 4" was the bait of choice. 

Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2007 at 11:32pm
Sunday, August 19th:

Couldn't find them schooled up today, but we found a few small slot-sized fish.  Gulp shrimp on a popping cork was the call.

paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 3:17pm
We had about the same luck this weekend around the haystacks.  All between 17 and 20 inches.  Couldn't get one to touch a top water plug.

Debbie did manage to get a 5+ lb trout almost to the net. The line broke above the popping cork. Cry  We followed it off and on for a couple of hours and it eventually went back to the same place he was hooked.

If anyone sees a green popping cork moving around, it's attached to a NICE trout. Hug

Does anyone know if they're gonna fix the picture downloader or is that "photobucket" thing going to be it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 196>
  Share Topic