FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

***Official Redfish Report Thread***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 196>
Author
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 11:11pm
No pics today, because I'm finding out that I have a better shot at a slot red when I leave my camera home.  Took my Dad out today to the Newport River and fished the flood tide.  We caught 3 specks, a couple of flounder(s), a small blue, and a 25" redfish.  Dad, a native eastern NC man says, "that 'redfish' looks awfully like a nice puppy drum, son."  
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 12:20am
Old School - New School - Good job on the fish.
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 1:28pm
way to go sounds like a greet day on the water
RED FISH ITS NOT A OBSSESION BUT A PASSION!!!

minds are like parachutes!!!!!
they only funtion when open !!!!
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 12:46am
Today was not good for the reds.  Boated 1 red at 17".  However, it was somewhat speck-tackler.  Caught about 12 specks, 7 keepers.  Biggest one was 18".  It made a few runs and fought like a red until I got it to the boat and was surprised to find a trout.  A few throwback blues, a few flounder, and a few of those aggressive predatory pinfish.  

Trout caught on Fin-S.  They bit emerald ice, electric watermelon, and Zoom salty superfluke white.

Red caught on natural 3" gulp shrimp.

ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:34pm

WOW HAD TO GO BACK 4 PAGES TO FIND THIS,DIDNT THINK IT WOULD DIE THAT FAST

BUT ANYWAYS HERE ARE SOME OF MY LAST FEW TRIPS FOR RED

THIS WAS YEATURDAY AND WAS 26 1\2 INCHES

THIS WAS A FRIEND OF A FRIEND JEREMY I TOOK OUT FOR HIS FIRST QUEENS CREEK REDS AND HE MANAGED ONE AND A HUGE BLUE AT 7.9 OUNCES  I ALSO MANAGED ONE KEEPER RED AND BROCK A FLOUNDER.

AND MY WIFE WITH A 26 1\2 INCHER DONT REMEMBER IF I HAD POSTED HER WITH THIS ONE OR NOT

IN ANY EVENT NOW THAT THE NETS ARE STARTING TO DEMINISH THE DRUM ARE COMMING BACK AND WE ARE NOW SEEING THEM WAVE THERE FLAGS ON MANY OYSTER BARS AT HIGH TIDES

szextreme View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szextreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 9:37pm

HARD CORE INTO THE REDS......FOUND THIS AND FIGURED I WOULD POST IT UP FOR EVERYONE.

NOW AT LEAST I CAN SAY I CAME HOME WITH A REDFISH EVERYDAY! GOT IT ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF AGO

ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 10:08pm

Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 1:21am
Nice fish, NCPierman.
Silverback View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 12:26pm
Nice ink...
The Emerald City...
2072 Alumacraft "Spaceball I"
WhiteLakeBuc View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeBuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 12:36pm
Nice Tat!

Scott Hobbs View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Hobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 1:22pm
Nice job pierman and crew.

Tight lines <*))))>{
De Oppresso Liber

The healing of a soul is only a cast away.
rhutson View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhutson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 11:24am

How do you know where to go? I mean if it's low tide where do the drum go? I have caught several by the oyster beds near my house but just wonder how the tide affects the fish. Sometimes they are not there at all and I wonder where to find them, maybe in deeper water, out closer to the inlet, further up the creek?

rhutson in Swansboro, NC

Banjoman in Swansboro, NC
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 12:15pm

RHUTSON,

VERY GOOD QUESTION,I USED TO WONDER THE SAME THING AND IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF THE DRUM YOUR FINDING IN ONE SPOT KINDA CONSISTANT ALL OF A SUDDEN ARE NOT THERE,THEY HAVE MOVED TO ANOTHER SPOT AND NORMALLY NOT TO FAR FROM WHERE YOU FIND THEM.

I HAVE ABOUT 5 DIFFERENT SPOTS IN WHICH I CAN FIND THEM AND THERE NORMALLY ALL AROUND OYSTER BARS AND MUD FLATS,NORMALLY ABOUT A FEW HUNDRED YARDS FROM WHERE I NORMALLY WOULD FISH THEM.

THERE IS ALOT OF FACTORS INVOVLED WITH THIS,1 IS THE FISHING PRESSURE ON THEM,IF THERE IS ALOT THEY WILL MOVE TILL THEY FEEL COMFORTABLE AGAIN.

2 IS THE FOOD SOURCE,IF IT HAS DEPLETED OR SLOWED DOWN THEY WILL LOOK ELSE WHERE FOR IT

3 BOATING TRAFFIC,DRUM ARE SPOOKY FISH AND IF THE BOAT TRAFFIC IS TOO MUCH THEY WILL MOVE TO A QUITER PLACE.

AND THE WORST POSSIBLE IS NETS IF THEY ARE PRESSENT THEY WILL MOVE OUT TILL THERE GONE.

IF I CANT FIND THEM IN THERE NORMAL SPOTS I MOVE AROUND A BIT TILL I LOCATE THEM AGAIN,THEY NORMALLY DONT MOVE TOO FAR.

ON THE HIGH TIDES YOU CAN FIND THEM ON THE OYSTER BARS TAILING AND RUNNING AROUND THE GRASS THAT IS NORMALLY NOT ACESSABLE AT LOW TIDES.

ON LOW TIDES YOULL FIND THEM IN THE FLATS OR AROUND THE OYSTER BARS AS WELL,BIGGEST PART IS FIND THE FOOD AND YOULL FIND THE DRUM

I HOPE I HELPED YOU IN THIS QUESTION AND I HOPE SOME OTHERS WILL CHIME IN,BEFORE I FORGET OUT GOING TIDES FISH ABOVE THE OUT GOING TIDE AND INCOMMING TIDE FISH BELOW IT CAST TO THE POINTS SINCE DRUM ARE AN AMBUSH FISH

paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2007 at 10:03pm

Me and the wife tried some of our old hot spots in the Swansboro marshes this weekend.  We don't get down there much since we moved up to Morehead.  The drum were still there.  We each got one (23" and 25") in a tiny creek using Strike King 3X swimming mullets (the same ones they put on the Redfish Magic spinner baits).  Her's was white and mine was dark green.  She gets the pic cause she got the flounder too.  I got the 3lb trout Sunday at Core Creek with a mud minnow in 10' of water.

"I may be stupid but I'm ugly"
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2007 at 10:42pm
nice catch. 
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:08pm

PAULG1,

MAN THATS A NICE SLAM THERE

HERE ARE SOME FROM LAST NITE WITH THE WIFE,SHES A LITTLE MAD TODAY BECAUSE OF THE BIG ONE THAT SMOKED HER REEL AND HELD THE ROD IN THE HOLDER TOO TIGHT FOR HER TO GET IT OUT BEFORE I GOT TO IT.

THAT FISH WAS WELL OVER SLOT AND ID SAY CLOSE TO 40 50 INCHES HUGE HUGE TAIL

THESE ARE 20 AND 19 INCHERS NOT BAD FOR WHAT LITTLE TIME WE WERE OUT

Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:31pm

My buddy caught a nice one on Saturday.  I lost one out of the same school.  So I'm sure mine was bigger. 

His fish was 31" and hit a popping cork/zoom white fluke.

Edited by Mal_Pais - 19 August 2007 at 11:44pm
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:38pm
WAY TO GO

szextreme View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szextreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 1:32am
great job guys glad to see the Reds still compiling in. Hopefully soon enough I will have some good pictures for you guys since I have a phototbucket account now!
Mal_Pais View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal_Pais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 1:16pm
Saturday, June 23rd report:

Nothing to report.  Fished the Newport River marshes all day.  No reds or trout.

I was fishing along an oyster bed when I came up on a tailing red.  Nice fish.  He was eating something, I'm guessing fiddler crabs, on top of the oyster bed that was ~6" under the water.  He didn't hear me come by and kept feeding.  I circled back around, slid the anchor in the water, and proceeded to pelt him with everything in the tackle box.  He wasn't interested in my presentation, just kept standing on his head.  This game went on for over 30 minutes.  In the process, I lost a popping cork/jig head and a Billy Bay grass shrimp.  I tried every angle possible, no interest.  I resorted to dropping the bait on him, no luck.  I threw the bait past him once, and dragged the line over his back.  No luck.

He bumped the grass shrimp once, and when I set the hook, the rod bent.  I thought "its on, just hope I can pull him off the oyster bed before he cuts my 8# mono."  Drum and oyster rocks feel the same when you hook them.  Unfortunately, my drum didn't strip any line off the reel, so I hooked a rock. 

Finally, I gave up and pulled the camera out of the bag.  Wouldn't you know it, the drum disappeared. 

Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 3:01pm
Nice try anyway.  You'll get 'em next time. 
paulg1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 10:33pm

Saturday June 23rd:

She did it again!  But she promised that next time she'd let me catch some.  She used a white paddletail grub with a 1/4 oz head in the haystacks.

"I may be stupid but I'm ugly"
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 10:54pm
 I KNOW WHAT YA MEAN PAUL MINE ALSO   ILL PUT IT UP SOON  CONGRATS

billwoodhouse View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billwoodhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 11:21pm
Mal_Pais: Looks like you need to change your monniker to
Buen_Pais. You R in the right place!
Bill W.
ncpierman View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpierman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 11:25pm

HERE IS ONE THE WIFE CAUGHT ON THE 21ST I BELEIVE IT WAS THE ONLY ONE AND IT WAS 26 1\2 THE GUYS AT WORK LOVED IT THE NEXT DAY  DEEP FRYED IN HOUSE AUTRYS SEA FOOD BREADER

HERE IS A REPORT FROM LAST NITE

WELL THINGS LOOK LIKE THERE STARTING TO HEAT UP A BIT ON THE CREEK FINALLY

WHEN I GOT HOME FROM WORK THE QUEEN WANTED TO GO TRY FOR SOME RED DRUM ONCE AGAIN AND THIS TIME WE WERE NOT LET DOWN WITH JUST ONE OR 2 FISH

WE SET SAIL AFTER GETTING SOME BAIT AND AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT I ASKED THE QUEEN WHERE SHE WANTED TO FISH  SHE WANTED THE HOLE WHERE SHE LOST A SMOKER A FEW DAYS OR A WEEK AGO,SO THATS WHERE WE STARTED.

AFTER AN HOUR WITH NOTHING BUT HITS FROM A BLUE FISH SHE FINALLY SAID LETS GO TO THE OTHER HOLE WE GOT TO IT AROUND 8:05 PM AND AS SOON AS THE SECOND LINE WAS IN THE WATER THE FIRST LINE RIPS OFF WITH THIS NICE 18 INCHER.

AS SOON AS THIS ONE WAS GETTING PHOTOED SHE HITS THIS 19 INCHER.

AFTER HER MISSING ANOTHER DRUM I WAS UP AND DUE FOR ONE WHEN MY ROD SCREAMS OUT AND I LAND THIS 20 INCHER

AS YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED THE SIZE IS GOING UP  AND THIS IS THE SECOND 20 INCHER IN 10 MINUTES IF THAT

THEN JUST AS DUSK HITS SO DOES THIS BRUTE OF 24 3\4 AND HE OR SHE LET ME KNOW IT WASNT HAPPY WITH THE HOOK ,FOR IT SCREAMED MY LINE OF IN SPURTS OR 20 YARDS AT A TIME

IM NOT REALLY SURE BUT IM BEGINNING TO THINK THAT THIS SCHOOL OF DRUM WERE FRESH FROM THE OCEAN SINCE THEY REALLY DIDNT HAVE THAT GOLDEN COPPER COLOR,THEY WERE MORE SILVERISH THAN GOLDEN.

WE MISSED A TOTAL OF 3 BUT CAUGHT 5 ALL IN ABOUT 45 MINUTES OR LESS,FROM 8:05 TO 8:45 PM ON THE RISING THEN FALLING TIDE WITH LIVE MULLETS AND DEAD ONES,CAROLINA RIG AND A CORK,2 ON THE CORK AND 3 ON THE CAROLINA RIG.

szextreme View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szextreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 2:50pm

7/7/6 Was a great day for Fishing!! what a great way to end a week!! Went out with my buddy Tunatic81 in search of some drum. We started off in unfamilure territory and was very slow and then Jason hooked up with a 17inch flounder and she went straight into the box!! I was bumming couldnt even get a bite. changed up spots a few times even tried some docks and got nothing. After a couple of hours of searching they finaly came around! The Action started with casting a HALO shrimp. been wanting to gte my hands on a few packs of these for quite sometime now. They work excellent! Basically a D.O.A. on steroids! little flash, little smell and you have fish! well here are some pictures for the first time I actually have some for you guys!!

Isn't she pretty pay no attention to that fat guy there!

Tight lines and bent rods!

You want some of this?

My 27" 7lber I thought I would let him get a good pic with her!

Maggie May watchin her Daddy Jason reelin in some dinner!

27"s Yep

Prized Possessions!

It was definetly a great trip today! Enjoy the photos and yes we took two home with us today. We usually are strictly catch and release but today we wanted to enjoy the fruits of our labor!

an ohh yea forgot the Flatty here she is with the Reds!

Edited by szextreme
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 8:43pm
Very nice job on the reds szextreme.  Your dog looks excited. 
szextreme View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szextreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 12:03am

Thats Jasons dog!! but yea she is all about the Reds her First toy was a Stuffed Redfish! As a matter of fact here are some pics after her first day of Fishing with us.

Shes a great dog! Some friends of ours work at the newport prison, and the prisoners found her in a ditch on the side of 70 in newbern while they where doing there cleanup. she was neck deep in the mud and was getting ready to rain she woulda been down for the count if they didnt find her. He took her in and shes been part of the family ever since Shes 80% Black lab and 20% Pit bull the vet said. She definetly can tear up the house during the day. all and all shes gonna be one stout dog! the looks of a Lab with a pitbulls muscle.

Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 12:35am
I noticed she has a white mark on her chest.  I have a black lab that is "supposed" to be pure lab that also has a white mark on her chest.  Anyway she looks and definitely acts like a lab.  LOL  Nice pics.
tamj View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2007 at 1:29am
Great report and nice pics.  love the dog and stuffed toy lol.Went to the haystacks on friday and caught about 8 drum.All between 18 and 26 inches.Caught them on a piece of frozen mullet on a jig head.As soon as hit the water they were on it.Heres i pic of one my friend from Vermont caught while here on a visit.Her first drum ever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 196>
  Share Topic